Taking disc brakes of trailer hub

• Netguy
    Minnetonka

Need to check the bearings on my boat trailer. It’s my first one with disc brakes. I have the hex socket that fits the bolts but it seems to be too tight of a fit with the ratchet. What do others usually do, come in from the back side with an extension or use a non-ratchet wrench?

Jason

?? Can you post a picture of your issue because you have me confused.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

?? Can you post a picture of your issue because you have me confused.

X2

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Put a extension on ? Breaker bar ? Hard to understand with out seeing

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Try a metric size? Don’t know how it can fit but be too tight

Dave maze
    Isanti

I assume your talking about the caliper bracket bolts. I’d come in behind with an impact and knuckle. But if you don’t have that, I’d use a non ratcheting wrench and hit it with a mini sledge to get them broke loose. Those bolts usually have locktite on them.

Slabtown
    Western Wisconsin

I think I had the same issue if I and understanding you. I cut the back half of the hex socket off with a cut off wheel, and then used a wrench over the hex end to turn it. That gave me enough clearance to get the hex bolt out. If that explanation is unclear, I could send a pic.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I did same as Slabtown.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

OK, I think I understand what you’re asking now. You need to remove the caliper from the disk/hubn assembly, right?

On mine, I just use a box end wrench. I think mine are 7/16″. Those suckers are tight, and like someone else mentioned, I think they use Loctite on them.

Adam Steffes

Bust em loose with a hammer or impact. They likely have loctite on them. When you reinstall them, make sure to clean them and the holes up good and re-apply blue loctite at minimum. The brake caliper bolts WILL work loose if you don’t have loctite. I had one come loose going down the highway and caught it wt a gas station during a walk around. Super lucky it didn’t come lose and wreck the wheel etc.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

On mine, I just use a box end wrench. I think mine are 7/16″. Those suckers are tight, and like someone else mentioned, I think they use Loctite on them.

If we’re talking about the caliper bracket bolts, then yes they should have Loctite on them AND be torqued to spec. Just did the brakes last week on my SUV and they are torqued to 140 foot pounds, so look up the specs.

Quite a bit of brake hardware now seems to be metric. Be careful you don’t strip the heads off anything by using an SAE size that just kinda sorta fits.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.