SXS / UTV Windshields – Vented vs solid.

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The new Honda Pioneer is almost in the garage, I’m just waiting on the dealer to replace some plastic parts that got crate rash during shipping. Apparently, all the pieces are available, so it’s just a matter of getting new ones and getting them installed.

In addition to tires, the next thing on the list is a windshield. The dealer’s quote for OEM windshields was predictably ridiculously high, $550 NOT including installation for a solid plexi and then prices went up from there. Every accessory they have quoted is more than 33% higher than even a brand name non-OEM.

My main question for those of you who own SxS vehicles is this: Solid windshield vs vented. How important or useful is a vented or flip-up / down windshield.

First off, the flip-up windshields look like a complete cluster waiting to happen to me. The thought of driving around with the windshield propped open and hammering up and down just looks to me like stuff is going to start breaking and flying off sooner rather than later. The flip-down ones are similar, they look like they’d damage the hood or fly off if you left them down and did anything more than 5 MPH. Maybe these things are built way tougher than I’m anticipating, but the whole way they work just looks like they are going to be fragile and problem-prone.

The units with the bottom-style opening vents are interesting, but an expensive option if vents aren’t really that necessary or useful.

I understand dust/snow swirling into the cab is an issue with solid windshields, but how big of an issue is this really for the non-trail rider? I also see comments online that this issue is easily solved with dust deflectors? Is that the case?

Is a solid windshield too hot for summer use assuming the rest of the cab isn’t enclosed? Or are vented windshields a solution looking for a problem in this part of the world where more than half the UTV use is in conditions where you don’t want any airflow because it’s butt cold?

Your experiences, please.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I had a 1/2 windshield but that was to cold for winter driving. I now have the vented which I love because it really heats up in there in the summer.
    I don’t have wipers which would be a nice option.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I put a solid flip-up on mine. I rarely have it opened all the way unless I’m just puttin’ around the yard. The latch on it allows it to be tipped out about 4″ and locked in place. This has been perfect for running around in the summer with the doors off. Just enough airflow, but not in your face. Just a heads up, a full windshield virtually requires a wiper of some sort. A poly windshield will eventually scratch. Which leaves you with glass, the most expensive option. My opinion, buy once, cry once.

TH

I bought a poly windshield for my Ranger. I too regret not buying glass and a wiper. I don’t use mine much in the summer. I don’t like riding around with a cab full of dust. If I’m riding in the summer I take all the windows and doors off. It seems like the cab is a dust concentrator. At least without windows you get airflow. I run mine with tracks and it sits out all winter. I wish I could scrape my windshield. I have no other experience with windshields, but I can say to buy a glass one.

Attachments:
    1. ACDC34BF-6BA7-4298-BEA1-163D086B359F.jpeg

404 ERROR
    MN

I know glass is an expensive proposition, but it’s worth it. I’ve tried many different poly windshields, including hard coated. The hard coat will keep small scratches at bay for a while but it’ll be junk quickly, just not as quick as a std poly…

If you go full windshield, you NEED a back window, even if not trail riding. Gravel roads will absolutely fill the cab with dust.

My setup. Full Glass front with wiper and washer, tinted poly rear, S&B particle Separator. Only reason I have a poly rear and not glass is I can’t see out of it if I wanted (see pictures). So scratches don’t matter to me.

Attachments:
    1. Front.jpg

2. Back.jpg

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

Check partzilla.com and see what their prices are. I bought the windshield, top, soft door tops, and the soft rear window for my Kawasaki Pro MX for much cheaper than what any dealer was selling for and I got free shipping.

My windshield is the hard coated polycarbonate with the quick release clamps so it only takes about 30 seconds to remove it

dbright
    Cambridge

Superatv split windshield if you are sure you are not going with a cab down the road.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

When I bought my Pioneer there was very few accessories, OE or aftermarket. I put a solid glass WS from Honda on it. I wish it was a glass vented, tip out, or ??? to get some air flow. It gets VERY HOT in the cab in the summer. I only have half doors. I would only get the “plastic windshield” if that was the only way to get it vented.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have the pioneer 700-4 with the plastic factory split windshield, hardtop and the soft doors with rear panel behind front seats. Wonderful in summer to get some air flow, very tolerable even when super cold plowing or ice fishing. No heater. You’re more than welcome to take a test drive if you’re ever south of the metro.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Any reason to NOT go with Poly on the back window of a Ranger, General, or Can Am Defender? It sounds like glass is the way for the front, but for the back I’ll rarely be able to see out of it anyways due to gear, dust, snow, and whatever else accumulates back there against it.

I’ll eventually pull the trigger on one of the above when the chaos of the slightly used market slows down. I’m just trying to understand what options I need/don’t need or want.

Gitchi Gummi

whatever you do, go with glass on the front. I don’t see the need for glass on the back, poly works just fine back there.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Great info. Thanks!

Coletrain27

I will be buy a 801 utv brand glass windshield for my machine this spring. Has flip up vents on the bottom. I would definetly want vents for trail riding slow areas

https://utv801.com/

cdn
    West Central, MN

My main question for those of you who own SxS vehicles is this: Solid windshield vs vented. How important or useful is a vented or flip-up / down windshield.
    I have a Pioneer 1000-5 with a flip open windshield. I’ve had it on the machine since new (2016). I like it for the fact that I can open it for ventilation, and also remove most of it very easily. In the summer, you don’t need it and I often take it off.

First off, the flip-up windshields look like a complete cluster waiting to happen to me. The thought of driving around with the windshield propped open and hammering up and down just looks to me like stuff is going to start breaking and flying off sooner rather than later. The flip-down ones are similar, they look like they’d damage the hood or fly off if you left them down and did anything more than 5 MPH. Maybe these things are built way tougher than I’m anticipating, but the whole way they work just looks like they are going to be fragile and problem-prone.
    It is a very strong. In cold weather they rattle where the two pieces meet, but with foam sealant it can be greatly reduced.

The units with the bottom-style opening vents are interesting, but an expensive option if vents aren’t really that necessary or useful.

I understand dust/snow swirling into the cab is an issue with solid windshields, but how big of an issue is this really for the non-trail rider? I also see comments online that this issue is easily solved with dust deflectors? Is that the case?
    I can’t speak for the 2/3 model, but if you have the Pioneer 4 or 5 with the full roof, you will get a lot of dust swirling in the cab area. That is why I like the removable front windshield. I bought the rear zippered enclosure behind the driver’s seat and it works well at keeping dust and snow out

Is a solid windshield too hot for summer use assuming the rest of the cab isn’t enclosed? Or are vented windshields a solution looking for a problem in this part of the world where more than half the UTV use is in conditions where you don’t want any airflow because it’s butt cold?

Yes, without ventilation in my Pioneer, it will get hot in the summer.
    Your experiences, please.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.