swim baits

• joc
    Participant
    Western and Central, NY

Hi,
    I see a lot of swimbaits on the market. Many are being advertised as bringing in pike and musky. Has anyone had success using swimbaits for toothy critters? If so what brand-type and how have you been fishing them? Say fishing them as a twitch-jerk bait or using a steady retrieve or pull-pause approach?
    Thank you,

Michael Bryant
    Participant

I have a lot of success with swimbaits on Pike, a lot have come out on the market over the last couple of years. I have been using the Berkley Power Bait MPSS5-PRE 5 inch Swim Bait, I have also used the 4 inch, there are a lot of different colors out. I have used the white and even taken a bait marker (red) and colored the head or the back part of the tail. I have done both twitching and steady retrieve, with a pause and had success. I would say the only drawback is one mean Pike can tear up a bait, depending on the size used you can get 3 to 5 in a package.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve had great success with the Culprit & Riptide Ultimate Minnows and the Riptide Mullets. Tried like heck to get dealers around here to carry them, but many just think Culprit = the traditional worm. Very versatile baits. Twitch, weedless, swim jig trailers….Jig head/ripped for deep water. So many applications from shallow pencil reeds, weedlines, rock piles, and suspended deep fish

https://www.culpritstore.com/catalog3/index.php/culprit-lures/shads-swim-baits/culprit-minnow.html

puddlepounder
    Participant
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Swim baits have been around for a long time. Over the last 6 to 8 years they have become increasingly popular. My personal best musky, a 45+lber, was caught casting a swim bait. Out of 6 rods in the boat, two will have some type of swim bait attached while musky fishing. They also work really well for walleyes and smallmouth with a northern pike thrown in for good measure.

hunterjoe
    Participant
    Twin Cities

Shadzillas. I have 3 sizes and the two smaller ones will catch both species while all 3 work for muskies. The JR can be rigged weedlessly with a single hook.

joc
    Participant
    Western and Central, NY

Hi all so it sounds like you guys prefer the soft swimbaits. I noticed that swimbaits can come in both soft and hard varieties.
    Thanks for the input

Kentucky Boy 75
    Participant
    Champlin, MN

Has anybody used any swimbaits from Z-Man like the Diezel minnow? They look like they can handle plenty of toothy fish before they would get shredded.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.