Swapping stocks shotgun

• poomunk
    Participant
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Still on year 2 now of thinking/waiting/watching for a shotgun for my son, have a nee idea but it’s something I’m not familiar with so wanted to ask on here as I am sure someone knows. I’ve been thinking of getting a youth sized 20ga (like mossberg youth 500) and then replacing the stock later, they haven’t been the easiest guns to find (not interested in traveling or online shenanigans to get one), but I just now started thinking why not go the opposite way amd get a ‘full size’ 20 ga 500 and just get a youth, or better yet adjustable, stock. Never having had to swap parts around before though I’m a bit unsure about fitment. I’m leaning g more towards an adjustable (tactical) style stock, more flexibility as he grows, but I’m not seeing anything that specifically states some of the ones I’ve looked at will fit a 20 ga. Common sense to me says a model 500 is a model 500, but I just don’t know.
    For am example, one of the ones I looked at is the adaptive tactical EX adjustable stock, it specifically talks about fitting the 12 ga model 500, would the stock fitment for a 20 ga model 500 really be any different?

I had him hold several models the other week (will be 10 in a couple weeks), standard sizes still too big for him, he has shown interest in wanting to turkey hunt in spring so I need to get off my duff and get moving on this.

mwal
    Participant
    Rosemount,MN

Had same issue when sons were young. Bought adult 870 and asked Ahlmans about youth stock . They did not have one but gave us a adult butt stock that was on the rough side and explained how to cut it down. When we were done using it we gave it to another family. Buy full size and call gun shops to find spare butt stock and cut down. When he grows you just swap the original back on.

Dan Baker
    Participant

I bought a Mossberg Youth 500 from Fleet Farm in August. They had a couple on the shelf at the one in Monticello.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

TriStar offers 2-stock combo guns in both 20 and 12-gauge in their Viper autoloader series.

My full review of the 20 gauge 2-stock combo is here.

For am example, one of the ones I looked at is the adaptive tactical EX adjustable stock, it specifically talks about fitting the 12 ga model 500, would the stock fitment for a 20 ga model 500 really be any different?

I looked on several aftermarket stock sites and they all list separate item numbers for the 20 gauge and the 12 gauge aftermarket stocks for the Mossberg 500. To me this indicates that they ARE different, which is not uncommon.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

I have the stock youth on my mossberg 500 but it came with a pistol grip stock. I still have that and it’s free if someone wants it. Not my thing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.