Surplus Wolf Tags

• deertracker

Anyone get one? I just bought my son one. We have numerous wolves on camera and have seen them during daylight during previous deer seasons. I hope to get a late season tag for myself.
    DT

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

When do the surplus tags actually go on sale time-wise DT? Any idea?

I also want a late season tag if there are any available.

The number of wolves people are seeing in person, not just trail cam pics, is astonishing. 10 years ago, I could count on one hand the number of people I personally knew who had seen a wolf in person. Now, it’s almost everyone with any significant hunting experience north of Forest Lake.

Grouse

deertracker

Season A surplus tags went on sale today at noon for the people who were unsuccessful in the season A drawing. if surplus tags are not all purchased by a certain date they will go on sale for the general public. I believe last year the surplus tags sold out in minutes.
    DT

deertracker

And now the good news. My buddy just sent me a text saying they been seeing a black wolf on a regular basis during the daylight.
    DT

deertracker

We have not specifically targeted a wolf yet as we are still trying to fill our deer tags. The black wolf that has been seen on this property is also on camera and a friends land 2 miles away. He was on camera rolling in a mineral site and peeing in it. He was estimated by a local trapper to be 140-150 pounds. I hope to get a late season wolf tag and target them specifically with an e-caller.
    DT

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ll be trying to pull the trigger on a surplus late season tag. We’ll see what happens.

My father and I usually spend the day after Thanksgiving coyote hunting. If, if, if there’s not too much flippin’ snow already.

Grouse

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

I’ve been constantly checking for surplus tags to show up since the 5th and haven’t even seen a category for them… am I missing something?

deertracker

Last year they sold out in minutes. Probably happened again this year. if all of the surplus tags are purchased by unsuccessful applicants none are available over the counter to the general public. Did you apply for the early or late season?
    DT

deertracker

As of today there have been 72 wolves taken since saturday.
    DT

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Not nearly enough….

deertracker

Its a good start for 5 days into the season. I hope to get a late season surplus tag and do my part.
    DT

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I agree, a good start. We need to max out the harvest every year. Even then we aren’t going to put a dent in the population.

What stinks for me is the 2 day season that closes no matter the quota for land I have access to.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.