Suitable ice thickness for side by side

• vinella
    Participant

Wondering what you guys feel comfortable taking a side by side out on? In my case, referring to a 1000cc full cab with tracks. I’d estimate dry weight to be around 2000 lbs. I’ve seen the ice thickness charts. Perhaps the tracks help distribute the weight a little better? 8″ of good hard ice?

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

With Tracks, I would think 6-7″ of GOOD HARD ICE is sufficient. I would run along shore for a while to verify. Pop a hole even and watch for flex in the ice. Some will say “are you nuts !!!” even with 12″ of good ice.

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

I would also say 8″.

Coletrain27
    Participant

Side by side with full cab, tracks, all your gear and a person or two and I bet your 3000# or very close.

Angler II
    Participant

Psi on that unit is going to be minimal. Tracks really help spread the weight out.

3rdtryguy
    Participant
    Central Mn

Psi on that unit is going to be minimal. Tracks really help spread the weight out.

Thats right, I’d say 5 of good black ice would be ok.

B-man
    Participant

Me personally would like to see 7″ if I had that rig.

That gives you some wiggle room if you drove over a spot with 4-5″.

fishingstar
    Participant
    central mn / starlake

found this on line don’t know how factually accrete it is

Tire PSI vs Track PSI

Camso, one of the best known ATV track manufacturers state that ground pressure is reduced on average by 75% using their tracks vs tires.

chuck100
    Participant
    Platteville,Wi.

I would want a good 8″-10″ with that kind of weight.I’m not to smart but i try to play it safe on ice.

Coletrain27
    Participant

`

found this on line don’t know how factually accrete it is

Tire PSI vs Track PSI

Camso, one of the best known ATV track manufacturers state that ground pressure is reduced on average by 75% using their tracks vs tires.

So according to those calculations 2” is enough compared to the dnr chart? Haha

fishingstar
    Participant
    central mn / starlake

like I said I don’t know how factually accrete it is
    All I know is I’ll take the tracked bobcat for Finnish work over our tire rig.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Me personally would like to see 7″ if I had that rig.

That gives you some wiggle room if you drove over a spot with 4-5″.

That’s the thing. Because there is 7 here doesn’t mean there is seven everywhere.

shefland
    Participant
    Walker

Broke thru 10″ with a polaris Ranger with tires, that being said it was very near a pressure heave on Leech., followed my tire tracks off after dark and kerplunk. when they say ice is never safe, made a believer out of me

TH
    Participant

I have a ranger 900 xp with tracks. I pull my skid house out at 7 inches on the lake I live on. I did psi calculations and that’s plenty of ice.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

I’d be looking for 8” of good ice. The cloudy/slushy crap I don’t factor in. 8” is probably overkill, but it may leave margin for error when you roll across areas with less without knowing.

lindyrig79
    Participant
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Broke thru 10″ with a polaris Ranger with tires, that being said it was very near a pressure heave on Leech., followed my tire tracks off after dark and kerplunk. when they say ice is never safe, made a believer out of me

X2

Once you dunk a machine you start to prefer a few extra inches and not the minimum.

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

early black ice scares me. once it hits January, its rock solid in my neck of the woods. i wouldn’t drive that rig on less than 8-9 inches but not sure on your location. we have all been on sketchy ice and just got to take precautions.

Mr. Derek
    Participant
    NULL

Psi isn’t the determining factor for safe ice thickness. A 90,000 lb dozer with lgp tracks has similar psi ground pressure to a person on foot. That dozer isn’t going out on 2-3″ of lake ice but people can.

Jason
    Participant

Anyone with a tracked sxs should know the following – The bottom of the track rails are curved and the bulk of the weight is centered on 15-20″ of track. Then you add in the factor that you have 5-10 rows of narrow lugs that are actually touching the ice. PSI is surly different in 16″ of snow but the formula doesnt work on glare ice. My single cab tracked HD10 is 2250lbs without my topper or any people in the cab. I want to see a good 8-9″ to feel safe.

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

Psi isn’t the determining factor for safe ice thickness. A 90,000 lb dozer with lgp tracks has similar psi ground pressure to a person on foot. That dozer isn’t going out on 2-3″ of lake ice but people can.

This, psi doesn’t mean a thing on ice when it comes to tracks vs wheels. Overall footprint and weight of the vehicle is a much bigger factor.

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

I bet you would be surprised at the weight of your machine. Most manufacturers seem to lie buy a decent amount. I take my pioneer1000 on 6″ and will tow out my 6.5×12 wheelhouse once I find a consistent 8″.

vinella
    Participant

Thanks much for the input and first hand knowledge, guys. Very helpful. And a Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Specific machine is a Can Am HD10 with full cab and Apache LT 360 tracks. Mainly fish west central and northern WI.

Attachments:
    1. 20220225_160440-scaled.jpg

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Ummmmm… thru 10″ of ice with a Ranger ? That’s not accurate at all… maybe drove off 10″ of ice onto something significantly less. coffee

Red Eye
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mr. Derek wrote:</div>

This, psi doesn’t mean a thing on ice when it comes to tracks vs wheels. Overall footprint and weight of the vehicle is a much bigger factor.

Thank you for saying this. Never really understood the argument on less weight on the ice because of tracks. It’s still the same amount of weight on a 6×10’ area of ice. I’ve heard the same argument with a tandem axle fish house vs a single axle.
    Tracks may help for crossing cracks cause of the bigger pad to span the crack. Other than that I’m not buying it.

huntinforfish
    Participant

7-8 minimum for me to consider. I always am more cautious however. I was named after my dad’s best friend who went through ice on a snowmobile. One thin or slushy spot is all it takes.

MX1825
    Participant

I’ll never be 1st walking, in a SxS, or a truck! But that’s just me. Everyone else can do what they want.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.