Sturgeon 'THE PERCH'

• FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

Sturgeon & “THE PERCH ROD BALANCER”

Dang. Did a little searching. Came across this; looks like someone beat me to the punch designing the “Mr Jigger” for sturgeon application!
    Fudge!

I’ve been noodling a similar design for a few years now. Been going the bungee route to create the balance; monday night i thought i had an epiphany when i said to my self…Use a beefed up MR Jigger style rod holder…Fast forward to yesterday and i’m searching ‘on the line’ for balance rod holders. Ran across someone who already thought it up and is selling them. There goes my retirement plan! Shoot! Well, i’m going to order a few and there’s already something i want to mod on ‘the perch’.

My goal all along with the balancing rod holder is to eliminate rod bounce (Lifting bait off botton) while boat rocks in the waves. Looks like this will do it. I like to set the hook with the rod in the rod holder(i.e. reel down with circle hooks), so i may need to beef this up a little bit – time will tell.

Thought i’d share with the sturgeon nuts on IDO. Stinking California people got them sturgeon all figured out!

http://www.fishwithjd.com/2012/04/22/gear-review-the-perch-fishing-rod-balancer/

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Now if it would only swing left to right opposite the wind blown boat!

St.Croixer…have you seen this yet?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

Less anchor rope, more bungee Bk=less boat sway. This rod holder won’t help boat sway but should help with boat rocking… When fishing vertical like I do.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Dammit! I had the same damn idea! Maybe we shoulda partnered up and beat this guy to the punch.

Fisherpaul
    Participant

Either way I want a couple!
    And your bungee anchor set up. that is slick!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

Details on “The Perch”….

Thank you for your inquiry. I do retail “The Perch”. They cost $59.49 plus sales tax and shipping. I also give a 10% discount on orders of four or more units.

As for your questions regarding the strength of the unit, the 3/16″ balance arm, The 1/2″ shaft, and base are machined from 6061-T6511 high strength, corrosion resistant aluminum, and the top is cast from 713 Tenzaloy, also a high strength and corrosion resistant alloy.

I haven’t done any “scientific” testing on the units as to what they will withstand, but I did do an old fashioned load test. While I did not take it to failure, I am happy with the results.

In the attached photos is my “testing” method. The unit shaft clamped in a vise, loaded up with 100# of lead in a basket and and allowed to stand for 1 hr. All said and done, I am happy with the results. Unless you are using 60# or 80# braided Dacron line, I don’t think that you will ever be able to put that amount of load on your reel.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks again for your inquiry.

Nick Matulich
    NIMA Co.
    (209( 951-7011
    http://www.nimacoperch.com

Betty Ensslin
    Participant

Do you know where I may find “The Perch” balance rod holder? I would like to order a few.
    Thank you.

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

The link Fish blood shared in 2014 no longer works. Not sure what these look like but I am sure the are just like the ones I make for ice fishing. Very easy to make. Just make sure your rod is balanced correctly. I balance my rods out as I make them by adjusting the placement of the reelseat and changing up the handle. There are multiple different options you can do to make these depending on your boat and gear.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

Yeah I’m thinking they’re out of business.

Roadwork, you don’t need to adjust anything with the rod, unless horribly tip heavy.

You move the rod on the balance to achieve a butt heavy balance, so the line stays tight and weight on bottom while the rod frantically swings up, down, left and right with the rocking boat. Move balance point further toward tip until butt heavy.

No, I won’t part with mine but can take a picture if someone wants to make their own.

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

No, I won’t part with mine but can take a picture if someone wants to make their own.

I would like to see what the professional one would looks like.

Cody Meyers
    Participant

I tried twice to post another link to a balance style rod holder that the same website sells. For some reason it won’t allow me to post a video link and link to the holders so there must be some rule against that.

Anyway, the slingshot style rod holder from the same website seems more applicable. There is a youtube video available as well that shows how it works.

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

^ yep, just a heaver version of the ones I make for ice fishing.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

There you go rodwork, that video is spot on. Fancier machining on the post than what I have. Otherwise identical.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.