River is starting to look good

• bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Got out briefly this morning. Saw a guy who had a limit of 3-5 pound . . . . . . catfish? I’m not sure what was up with those fish biting so early, but that’s what he had, caught them on a jig, allegedly caught in the mouth. When I first saw them on the stringer, I thought I was in for a great time. The eye bite can’t be too far away, if it hasn’t started already. I couldn’t catch them this morning, but I was time limited.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Channel cats will bite in the cold water if you get a bait in front of them and keep it slow, its not unusual.

Some of the best fishing for numbers of channels each year is immediately following ice out.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

They start hitting here fair at 40 degrees, 45 and thier feeding regularly. The 45 degree mark is when alot of fish start to feed here.

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I went out for the night shift and caught me a channel in the mouth, so the old guy wasn’t lying. Hope the toothy fishes turn it up this week.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

I went out for the night shift and caught me a channel in the mouth, so the old guy wasn’t lying. Hope the toothy fishes turn it up this week.

I’ve seen/helped catch about 50 channel cats in the last week in the twin cities area(39 – 41 water temp) all on cut bait still fishing. Only 1 fish was snagged.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I caught a half dozen cats through the ice on a pond Friday after dark.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.