Flooding

• BBKK
    Participant
    IA

Just noticed the cedar level, looks like my duck blinds are gone again. Went from 5 feet last night to 13 feet now, at flood stage and climbing.

mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya its high here too. Went to work this morning and the car almost stalled out. Made it through and called 911 to tell them a police car would be a good idea or someone was going to get stalled out. Came back through and they had one there. The ice was stacked out my right window 6′ high. Went back down river a little later and its smooth all the way to the dam. I predict the ice will go out within the next couple days. If it decides to go out all at once it will be something to see going over the gates of the dam here in downtown. The banks are full to the top all the way down river, we need it.

big_head_basher
    Participant

not going to be much fishing on it for a while.

moxie
    Participant
    Sioux City,IA

Wow..saw the news and it’s high water there in CR..Ellis looks bad. Good for fishing soon though.

mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

You ever drive by the city gardens at the corner of ellis and edgewood road? theres 3′ of water over the garden area. As of yesterday it was almost ready to go over edgewood road. Huge blocks of ice are standing on end and trees sticking straight up out of the ice. If the ice doesn’
    t go out here in the next couple days I look for it to go over edgewood road, all of robins lake park is under water. The blocks of ice are starting to stack all the way to the dam on the west side and theres open water on the east side next to quaker oats. Lots of pressure bearing down on things now. The water below the dam is at the bottom of the archways of the bridges downtown and they’ve lowered the gates some. Ive heard they’ve had enginners down looking at assesing if its good or a bad year. The ice blocks are stacked up way up river past seminole valley park. When it goes alot of ice is going to go over the dam in just a couple hours, be something to see forsure.

mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Alot of ice is comin your way right now B BK, the ice is going out right now and theres alot of it. Some of the ice are 2 ton chunks and alot of trees with no bark on them. Let me know when it gets too your area. Theres ice as far as you can see up river.

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

I’m pretty far off the river, about an hour away. I’ve been watching the levels online and it seems to be swinging pretty bad. Its at 13.30 right now and at 15′ it completely floods the property I hunt. At 18 feet it gets into the cabin. The river is real wide and shallow down here so there really isn’t any ice buildup. I’d say the river is about 200 yards wide here and bottle necks down to about 100 yards in places.

I feel for all the people that have to go through the flood mess again this year. Luckily down here there are not many homes on the river, most are built way up out of the flood plane. I was really hoping the river would not flood this year, I built a real nice duck blind right down on the low water mark last year, and right now it will have 10 feet of water covering it and it will be in the main channel. I’m sure its long gone.

Amazing what that river can do. Just 4 months ago I walked across the river in hip waders not getting over my knees.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.