Slow here on the Cedar River

• mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

My boy and his 8 yr. old nephew and I went fishing for catfish yesterday about 2:30 on a part of the river thats always produced a decent bite with halfway decent sized catfish. We used stinkbait then baited a couple poles with shrimp and in 6 hrs caught 5 catfish that averaged a pound apiece. We kept waiting for the bite to get better but by 7:00 it didn’t come. The water looks good and everything was there but a good bite didn’t come. I kept myself partially intertained by watching a hatch of some insect that was hatching by the millions, spent casings were every couple inches on the glass smooth water. We figured its the dog days of late summer when at this time on an average it does slow down. Hopefully if the water gets down in temperature around the mid 60’s then maybe they will start to hit good again. Anyone have any other reports on how the Cedars doing?

eye-full
    Participant
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Wish I had one but haven’t been able to get out for a week and a half. Last time was real slow, not even the bank runner smallies where hiting.

I waiting for the cooler water with you. One thing is the water is so low I’m seeing different things I didn’t know where there before.

jsfishin
    Participant
    Urbana, IA

Recently nothing but little hammer handle cats, 1 pike
    20″, and 5 drum. If we get some rising waters, and
    along with falling temps, should help pick it up.

jighead-two
    Participant
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

In the last 3 days my son and I have picked up about 6 crappies, 1 walleye, several smallmouth, 2 largemouth, 1 nice channel, and 1 carp. Had a couple get off before we could see them and quite a few hits. All on jigs, one of the largemouth was on a crank. The water is very stained, can’t see your jig past 1/8″ in the water. Looks like root beer going over the dams.

mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Jig, did you get those right in the river or backwaters or both.

jighead-two
    Participant
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Right on the river, some from boat and some from shore bank fishing

eye-full
    Participant
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Starting to pick up, not heavy but it’s picking up. Friday got out and picked up couple and missed a couple, alot of short strikeing and light hits. Nothing big, everything went back.

jighead-two
    Participant
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

My walleyes have been10″-13′ 0R 24″+,like to get something in the 14-15 range

jighead-two
    Participant
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Finally tonight I got one for the frying pan. Also the water is still stained but getting a little better.

eye-full
    Participant
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Heard a 10+ was caught but haven’t seen proof.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.