The Cedar Wins…

• jwcarlson

Well, I went out after work last night for a little bit. My brother had been texting me pictures of walleyes he’d been catching all day long and he had me inspired. So I dropped my boat in at Ellis and ran up river a bit. I bombed the rocky shorelines looking for SOMETHING, but alas… nothing. On what proved to be my last cast I got snagged on a rock. So I bumped my trolling motor over and reeled down to the bait which I’ve done 100 times to free a crankbait from the rocks.

Snap.
    I broke off about 10 inches of my St. Croix… not sure exactly how that happened, but I got my $4 crankbait back so I guess that makes us even?

Why can’t I catch a damn thing?!

Just a little vent.
    Jacob

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

That’s the way it goes sometimes, been there myself with a brand new rod. The Cedar can be a and then next time turn around and be the sweetest river you’ve been on.

Hang in there they should be starting here in a few, Fall + River = Walleyes and Ducks.

Where is your brother at by the way

jwcarlson

My brother was out on the Mississippi River, mostly casting wingdams. Not one the ones they usually catch them on. And he was fishing in the middle of the day.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

The Cedars like that JW, feast or famine sometimes. Hang in there and like said above when things start cooling down jigs and minnow combinations and trolling shadraps work. Until then hit the smaller rivers around here with jigs, like Anamosa below the dam there, thats a good spot now and all winter long in the open water there. Fish both the west side along the road and east side below the powerhouse, that stretch of the river has a decent population of walleyes in it. Its a nice little river with some nice smallies there too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.