Storing your portables

• Sam
    Participant
    St.Francis

How do you guys store your portables and avoid the mice I had my one man in a steel box all summer but my new otter resort won’t fit

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

Locked up in my enclosed trailer.

michaelcfi79
    Participant
    Twin Cities, MN

Dryer sheets are key in my experience. Besides making sure it’s dry and can “breathe” to avoid mildew wherever you store it (mine too is in a covered trailer), put dryer sheets in the bottom, on the seats/bench and in the folds of the cover.
    I’ve never had mouse or insect issues over the last 10 years no matter where it’s been stored.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’ve had decent results from using Bonide mouse magic plus traps.(Google for product description.) They sell the stuff at Fleet Farm.

-J.

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

I store my sled shacks in my wheelhouse and my hub in my rafters of the garage. Pretty much no mater where you store your shacks, there is a chance a mouse will find it’s way in somehow.

Rick Janssen
    Participant

I use pullies (big game gimbles) to lift it to the top of my garage. All the ice stuff goes in the tub and up she goes. Been doing this forever and it works great. I TRIED to just pull it up over the rafters with a rope, but there was no way I could do it without the pully system.

sticker
    Participant
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I take the tarp off every year and store that in the basement in an open top box. The rest of the house gets put in the upper deck of the pole barn.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

I bring my hub house inside and stand it upright in the corner of a room. My Otter cabin goes in the rafters of the garage after I remove the canvas and put that in a stow away plastic bin. The mice can have a party all summer in the otter tub for all I care, I know the fabric will be safe.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

I store mine in the one unfinished room in my basement. There are no worries about critters and it has relatively little dust to deal with the next Fall.

Mice can scale open garage rafters with relative ease and can make their way up closed garage doors. One of the biggest nests I’ve ever seen was on top of some lumber in garage rafters. It seemed to be a mice highway up there.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

I am taking mine over to BuckyBadgers place. waytogo

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

lol

I’m still praying that the lady doesn’t realize that room is slowly becoming another sporting goods storage area. There’s a good chance it could all still end up in the garage!

The SCRATCHER
    Participant
    spring valley mn

I hang mine in my garage from the ceiling

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

If the critters can walk upside down on my garage ceiling, they deserve to eat the fabric..

Attachments:
    1. Otter-Ceiling-Mount.jpg

Ryan Lorenz
    Participant

Is that manufactured or homemade? What’s the name of it?

Cameron white
    Participant

Cut bars of Irish spring soap in half. Mice hate the smell.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.