St. Louis River Ice

• poppy402
    Participant
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

It may be another 2 weeks or so for those of you interested in fishing the st louis river. Up river around the spirit lake area and down a little by arrowhead flats was ice covered on tuesday morning but all that ice has blown around and is now scattered.

Around the Barkers Island area there is no ice what so ever but trust me, the next night when we have single digits and no wind it will be frozen within 2 days and fishable within 7 or so. Thats all it takes is one night and POP, we have ice. It was the same deal last year, we were gettin all bummed out because it was getting so late, but magically one morning she was all frozen over. The Ice fishing gods helped us out big time!

As far as inland lakes go, Boulder lake has 3 inches, Fish has 2, but some open pockets yet and the big resivour island is 90% open.

Lets hope the fish move in early again this year into the river. The migration of walleyes from Lake Superior into the St Louis river is just amazing. Only if you could watch them swim in thru the channel on a full moon night. Just imagine 1000’s upon 1000’s of walleyes coming in thru a channel that is 80 yeard wide from the biggest lake in the world! It seems some years they are in by early december and others its mid december. The bigger females are usually in by january 1st.

The day we get ice i will report back. REMEMBER, do not drive your vehicle out until at least jan 10th. The USCG is still cutting ice at the end of december and when they do the ice rocks, rumbles and cracks even when it is 2 or 3 feet thick. Last year i was out by the channel and the cutter came by, no cracks appeared out by me but once i got near shore a 2 foot wide crack ran N and S all the way down the river. If you would have had a vehicle out there you woulda been stuck till you got some ramps or whatnot. Another reminder is when we have a big east wind and get 15 footers out on the big lake, the current does weird stuff with the ice. So PLEASE use your head very carefully. Im not trying to scare anyone but just telling you what its like since i have grown up fishing here and know what typically happens during the year. Learn from my info not your mistakes .

Jason Sullivan
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Grant, I’m looking forward to your reports this winter.

poppy402
    Participant
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Thanks jason, hopefully i will have good news to report

poppy402
    Participant
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Oh boy did we make some ice last night!!! from the high bridge to barkers isl is all frozen! I say maybe 4 days and she will be ready!

poppy402
    Participant
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Checked the ice this morning, there are 1000’s of chucks frozen togetherand there about 5 inches thick. I walked out aways from the rowing club along park point. Out 200 yeard is some standing water on the ice. If this storm wasnt coming tonight i would be out there tomorrow morning but im goona hold off due to high winds etc. Dont walk out (up river)north west of the rowing club, open water is near by!! Thursday morning i may poke my head out there

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Checked the ice this morning, there are 1000’s of chucks frozen togetherand there about 5 inches thick. I walked out aways from the rowing club along park point. Out 200 yeard is some standing water on the ice. If this storm wasnt coming tonight i would be out there tomorrow morning but im goona hold off due to high winds etc. Dont walk out (up river)north west of the rowing club, open water is near by!! Thursday morning i may poke my head out there

Be safe up there. The ice down here is a mess!

poppy402
    Participant
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Is that ice I see? Yes it is! driving over the 535 (blatnik) bridge looking towards lake superior. The harbor just about completly froze over last night, after we lost some ice due to the past storm. She will only get thicker tonight too, with the low around 0. Wont be long folks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.