St. Louis River Report 8-10-05

• Steve Vick
    Participant
    New London, MN

I had the pleasure of a two day visit from Mr. Holst and his brother Jon this past week. James called up and wanted to do a little muskie and smallmouth fishing with his brother who was in town visiting for a while. We had planned on heading to Mille Lacs, but opted to stay local here in Duluth and try and figure a few things out on the St. Louis River.

We started out with James and Jon throwing top water baits for smallies, and me with a bucktail for muskies. After about 5 minutes of fishing, I have a smallie explode on the musky sized bucktail!!! Cool…..good start, but wrong fish. Fifteen minutes later, James has an upper 40 inch muskie give us all a coronary boatside, when she decided to do a little acrobatic move while smashing the topwater chugger. “Fish on!” After a few tense moments, the line snaps and up pops the bait to the surface. STRIKE ONE. The next few hours of mid-day were slow, with a few smallies making a showing. We headed downriver and out into Lake Superior to kill some time before heading back upriver for the late afternoon/evening bite. When we got back to fishing at about 4, things started to pick up. A handful of smallies were keeping the bass duo busy, and I had a very large muskie hit my bucktail 10 feet from the boat only to have a swing and a miss…..STRIKE 2. We managed a couple small to average pike inbetween the smallies as well on topwater.

We then ventured to a point off the main channel….The bass guys still throwning the bass sized chuggers and me, a musky sized Giant Jackpot. First or second cast with the Giant Jackpot revealed a muskie follow, without a hit. The next fifteen minutes are all a blur to me. Maybe James can chime in here, but i’ll give my best recollection of the events that took place. I had the follow….moments later james has a 40inch plus muskie smash his “bass” bait again. “STRIKE THREE think that one just missed…?? Couple minutes later, James has another very large fish explode on his “bass bait”…..Fish on! This fish was a mid-forty inch Pike I guesstimated! This fish took him for a ride and after a 30 second fight, the fish went airborn about 2 feet in the air and waved his head back and forth in the air at James, as if saying “I don’t think so…”…..chugger goes flying, fish gone. …..Literally minutes later, james has yet another muskie do a sideswipe/torpedo hit next to the boat on his chugger….this was an upper 40 inch muskie. “STRIKE FOUR”…..few casts later, i’m watching James’s bait and I see this muskie fly out of the water and grab his “bass” bait AGAIN! This fish was smaller than the fish we had seen previously. James says…”We are going to land this fish!!”. Well after some scary moments, she was in the net. After some quick pictures and a measurement, back in she went. 40 inches on the nose!

To summarize, James had 4 fish over 40 inches on or hit aggressively in 15 minutes. Throw in the one that hit my bucktail, and the one that followed my Giant Jackpot, and that made 6, I believe, different fish over 40 inches, in a matter of 15-20 minutes. Plus the one James had on to start the day!

Beginners luck? Maybe, but i’ll definitely be back to explore some more of beautiful St. Louis River. Below are some pics of the great day. Thanks James and Jon.

Steve Vick

Steve Vick
    Participant
    New London, MN

Another pic of her..

Steve Vick
    Participant
    New London, MN

Jon with a nice pike he boated…

Steve Vick
    Participant
    New London, MN

here is the before shot of that fish..

Steve Vick
    Participant
    New London, MN

James with a fair smallie………

Steve Vick
    Participant
    New London, MN

One right after the muskie was in the net….Relief!

Steve Vick
    Participant
    New London, MN

Beautiful sunset to end an awesome day. Thanks guys…A MUST DO TRIP AGAIN!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Wow !! Looks like a good time had by all

Great report Steve good to have you back online reporting !!

Bob Bowman
    Participant
    MN

It sounds like one heck of a trip. Great looking fish. If you don’t mind me asking, what types of structure where you fishing on the river? Was it main channel cuts or were you hitting back water areas? There are some monsters in that river system. I was talking with Gary about getting up there some time this fall. It would be fun to get a group together from IDA and make a weekend out of it. Food for thought. James congrats on the fish, she is a beauty.

dustin_stewart
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

Nice fish guys….. and Vick of course . Did you happen to run in to any walleyes……. ?

Steve, ever thought about using one of those poppers for muskie fishing. Sounds like they just might work

Steve Plantz
    Participant
    SE MN

Great report Steve!!! I look forward to reading more of them
    Awesome Musky James!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Nice report Steve and great pictures!

But Dustin has it right…James just kinda looks like a fish out of water with a muskie/bass in his hands!

sippiriverrat
    Participant
    Andover MN.

Talk about perfect timing for a report, my wife and I are going up sunday,monday,tuesday for my birthday, of course its not going to be all fishing, there will be the usual girl stuff but I,m sure I will get in plenty if water time.This will be a musky trip for me so any tips would be appreciated, color ,depth ,weeds, etc. I will certainly return the favor when I get back.After the 46 last weekend I have the bug bad and need my fix.

chris-tuckner
    Participant
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Nice report Steve and great pictures!

But Dustin has it right…James just kinda looks like a fish out of water with a muskie/bass in his hands!

You know you’ll never get that smell off your fingers

Great report Steve! Great roadtrip guys! I am J-E-A-L-O-U-S!
    T.

drewsdad
    Participant
    Crosby, MN

Nice report Steve and great pictures. It sounds like you maybe should have been throwing a “dwarf” jackpot instead of a “giant” Those fish must have been a hoot on bass gear.

dd

jeremy-liebig
    Participant
    mpls

Gary “New” Duluth!

Jason Sullivan
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

Gary “New” Duluth!

I’ve always thought that was good humor. I’ve envisioned a tourist wanting to visit Duluth and looking at a map and targeting “New” Duluth. I think they would be a little disappointed. I’ve lived in Gary, but didn’t fool myself into thinking it was the new part of town.

Sully

Steve Vick
    Participant
    New London, MN

Quote:

It sounds like one heck of a trip. Great looking fish. If you don’t mind me asking, what types of structure where you fishing on the river? Was it main channel cuts or were you hitting back water areas? There are some monsters in that river system. I was talking with Gary about getting up there some time this fall. It would be fun to get a group together from IDA and make a weekend out of it. Food for thought. James congrats on the fish, she is a beauty.

Bob, we were mainly fishing main channel cuts/points/breaks. We never really got into the backwaters too much. One backwater we did try actually had 30+ feet in it and looked very promising. Hope to make it out again this week.

Jack Naylor
    Participant
    Apple Valley, MN

Hi Steve,
    Very nice report, and what a nice day on the water. lots of excitement. super Ski, James, wow you really are a multi-species guy. keep them reports a comin Steve, I enjoy the call this afternoon.
    almost have the rig all set up.
    Jack…

Bob Bowman
    Participant
    MN

Thanks Steve, I sort of thought that based on the pictures. I can’t wait to get up there is fall…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.