Opener?

• Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Anyone heading up there for opener? I know I won’t have the only boat out there, but it seems not many IDA followers fish the Louie.

Good luck!

Sully

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Never been up there as of yet. I have though about IT (Thanks Putz )many times. You here of some good fish being taken out of there. Let us know how you do. I would enjoy hearing a report from up there, it just might be enough to push me over the edge. Good Luck!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I know Crossin’ eyes is going up there with a group.

bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

I’m fishing a tournament up there on May 21 & 22, so I’ll give a little summary when I get back. If anyone is up prior to then and wants to divulge a little information it would be mighty appreciated.

Brian

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

It will all depend on how far they are along with the pre or post spawn. Some years every male you catch is milting everywhere. Some years everything has pretty much made its way down to Spirit Lake. Big fish spots have never been near the Fond Du Lac bridge, usually somewhere from the access down. One in particular which has a very pronounced landmark, and deep water 20’+ in the main channel next to it, has year after year given up at least one fish over 28″.
    We will be camping up from Boy Scout landing on the east shore Wednesday-Wednesday following opening weekend. Grey Alumacrafts will be what to look for. It will be guys drinking beer and eating some sort of grilled meat product .

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

It’s interesting to hear you say the 23 bridge doesn’t have big fish potential. I don’t spend much time up there right after opener, but on years when the big hens are hanging out by the dam, they will make thier way through that area, right?

Sully

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

The tailraces and the hole right below the bridge always hold fish, unfortunately considering the limited space and the amount of novice anglers on the river during this time of year that spot can be downright unfishable. I would say your chances of scoring a hawg up there is just as good as any other spot above Boy-Scout landing. The second island down from the bridge on the NE side is a great spot for walleyes and sturgeon. Look for the Boston Whaler center console, those guys are always anchored on the fish. We always troll cranks until we locate a school of fish, then normally anchor up on them and pitch jigs.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ll be there with a couple buddies from the 18th – 20th. First time for me so it should be fun to see how long it takes for us to locate the fish. I’ll post up a report and hopefully some photos when I return.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

James, it’s good to hear a Might Miss legend will be on the Louie. Is it okay if I consider you a legend?

Sully

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

James, MUSKIES (Bob Bowman) and I will be up there the 18th-20th also. We will put in at Boy Scout at 5:30 a.m. on Wednesday, and will be camping about two miles up on the right. If you are looking for a spot to break we usually fire up the grill at noon every day. Look for the Alumacraft(s) and the guys in red jackets. We taking off Friday p.m. depending on the bite, and will be back up the following Monday thru Wednesday. The bite is usually on and off. When it’s on, 60-100 fish days are common.

Hope to see you up there…

Bob Bowman
    MN

I CAN’T WAIT ANYMORE!!!!!! HOPE TO SEE YOU UP THERE JAMES…

Jigmaster
    Superior,Wis

The bite is on!Had a great weekend.I post a report later today
    Jigmaster

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.