St. Louis River Ice Season has Started

• Jason Sullivan
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I saw about 10 anglers scattered across the river channel edge off Park Point on Saturday.

Sully

poppy402
    Participant
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Today the ice is NOT safe!! Do not venture out there please. Yes this weekend it was fishable, but now and for the next 3 to 5 days it will not be. From the warm weather and coast guard cutting lanes for the ships, wide cracks have developed.

Jake Hendrickson
    Inactive
    Madison, WI

Hey Grant, how do YOU know the ice is unsafe??

katmando
    Participant
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

I knowthe ice on my pond which is the size of a Olympic hockey rink was frozen yesterday and today there’s almost no ice so I’m sure it’s unsafe for awhile

poppy402
    Participant
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Quote:

Hey Grant, how do YOU know the ice is unsafe??

First hand experience buddy
    We will be back out this weekend hopefully! you going to be able to fish at all?

muskeye
    Participant
    Duluth, Mn

How’s the ice this weekend? Hopefully it gets cold again to start making some serious ice.

poppy402
    Participant
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

I would not consider it safe, but it is fishable in some areas. There are a few large cracks out there that are 20 feet wide or so that have frozen up, but not by much. If you want to cross them you need to step on the large chunks of ice, because if you dont, you will fall through. And that was as of yesterday morning. It only got worse as we had 40 degree weather. Had a buddy just text me saying he couldnt make it out anywhere last night, so maybe i take back my first sentence. So i guess i would not advise fishing out there right now. I will check again tonight or tomorrow.

jasonlem
    Participant
    New Prague

Let me know If it’s going to be a go for friday! Hate to drive up there for ice fishing on unsafe ice, when I could of brought the boat LOL.

muskeye
    Participant
    Duluth, Mn

Well I don’t think we’ve been making much ice in the last week. Down by the lake it hasn’t been getting much colder than low 20s at night. I did drive down to Park Point a few days ago and saw a few people out. I don’t think they were more than 100 yards off shore though, maybe 5-6ft deep. I didn’t personally check the ice, but by the way it looks, very sketchy. Lots of busted up ice. I’m going to wait until next week before I venture out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.