Still fishin in NE

• Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Hope you all have found your way to the new IDO. Still lots of good stuff here, and still fish in NE. I was wondering….it seems the CO flood water has hurt the canal system in a few areas that I frequent. The fish just don’t seem to be where they usually are, and I can think of nothing else to blame it on. How about anyone else?
    As for flatheads, they’re still around, of course. They’re a fixture. And a lot of fun on cranks. Here’s one of the few we’ve been hooking lately. The lack of our usual August heat has really hurt the flathead fishing, no doubt about that. More heat this week though, maybe it’s last show of summer, so we’ll see what happens.

Attachments:
    1. untitled.png

whitetips2
    Participant

Brian and I have talked about this a little bit. . . . Every year is different, fish movements and behavior follow the seasons from year to year, but water levels and weather patterns differ from year to year and that always makes it a challenge. I know fish move in the canal system in central Nebraska all the time and the more water flowing through that system the more they move. I also suspect that gizzard shad dynamics and hatch have been different this year as well. It is always a puzzle to figure out and that is why we never get tired of it!

I know this much, Brian is a good stick who spends a lot of time on the water–eventually he will figure ’em out!

Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    [email protected]
    http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Thanks Daryl. The shad dynamics this year are truly wild, no doubt about that. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen as much shad in the water as I am these past couple of weeks. Making fishing tough at times, but when the fish are feeding, it’s nuts.

It’ll be an interesting fall, and I hope to be out there learning more new things. I’m ready for the cold!

jebb-hatch
    Participant
    Kearney, Nebraska

Good to see the Nebraska section getting used again. Unfortunately I have nothing to add as far as reports. Just glad to see some new threads.

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Thanks JH! Ya, we’ll get the NE board back up and rolling. James is still working on IDO so this isn’t the finished product yet, but it’s looking good. Just taking time to get used to new things, like anything else. I plan on posting a multi-species report sometime soon, have been out a lot and caught quite a few different fish. This cool weather did away with our flathead bite I’m thinking, but that’s ok…slabbin is just around the corner!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.