Steel or Aluminum Utility trailer?

• Chuck Melcher
    Participant
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Looking to get a decent open trailer for a larger new mower and such. Still picking my way to a size, but single axle 6-7′ x maybe 10′ or something. Aluminum is like 30% more and sure looks nice “now”.

Will this oxidize and look like poop over time? I see a lot more lawn guys using steel – is it price based or is there more of a long tern benefit? Never owned either.

Finnish Minnow
    Participant
    Wisconsin

Aluminum does oxidize, but it serves to protect the metal. Only time you worry about it is when you are welding.

The majority of snowmobile trailers I have seen are made of aluminum. Before I got an aluminum snowmobile trailer, I used my steel utility trailer. Not the greatest idea in the Wisconsin winters with salt on the roads. I have sanded and painted twice and replaced the fenders twice. But that is with winter use.

Aluminum trailers are lighter, and they do not “rust”. Repairs are a little more complicated with aluminum (AC TIG welding, MIG spoolgun or an aluminum “stick” electrode, which makes an ugly, but strong weld), but if you don’t plan to beat the heck out of it, I wouldn’t worry.

Based on the use you described, if it were me, I would go with aluminum.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

As mentioned above, it’s rust Vs oxidation. If your just hauling atv or mower, aluminium and it’s much lighter.

I haul fire wood, use around the farm, and ..well…use it hard. I think my 6 X 10 is a 2500#. I’ve had well over 4000 in it. For the abuse, steel, but in Wisconsin your dealing with road acid

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Why not buy a snowmobile 2 up for the same price right now

Chuck Melcher
    Participant

All about sides on it for hauling stuff. Working into a small lawn/ yard service effort.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Today’s welding of aluminum is soooo much better than it was years ago, when steel trailers seemed to rule the roost. If I was in the market for a serviceable trailer today it would be aluminum hands down.

David Blais
    Participant

The horse guys bring their trailers in once a year and get them acid washed. That keeps them shiny and the oxidation off

Chuck Melcher
    Participant

Curious now…. on the acid washing thing? Never heard of it or a place offering it…

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

Aluminum all the way. I have an Aluma that’s probably 6 years old by now. It gets used all winter to haul the portables and ATV’s and it shows zero sign of oxidation. I was nervous about cracking welds on an aluminum trailer, as I cracked my Yetti, but it’s been great and I haven’t been exactly nice to it.

The ramp is a little beat up from abuse and there’s a mighty large hole in one of the fenders from hitting a piece of steel north of Waskish, but that’s it.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

look at the Floe Cargomax line of trailers, love mine…

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Get aluminum…but here’s my rant from the idiot engineers: why use steel components on an aluminum trailer????i had to replace 4 hinges on my ramps and all the bolts/nuts were rusted to the point I had to cut off with s sawzall. I went thru the trailer last summer and tried replacing them all.

David Blais
    Participant

Twin cities featherlite in Elko does it

milemark_714
    Participant

I would look into a good galvanized trailer.

Chuck Melcher
    Participant

Galvanized…. that is a treatment they do to aluminum?

Finnish Minnow
    Participant
    Wisconsin

Aluminum oxidizes very quickly, like minutes. When you weld it, to get a decent weld, you need to use a stainless steel brush at a minimum, though you can add some solvent too.

Rust on a steel trailer is iron oxide, so both do oxidize, it is just that iron oxide is destructive and aluminum oxide is not.

My steel trailer is 22 years old. It is sound and strong. Dealing with the rust on the fenders and surface rust has been a pain, but like I said, running it around in the winter with salty slush sticking to it really speeds up the process.

Nothing wrong with a steel trailer. They are heavier, but they are cheaper. A steel trailer will work and repairs are a snap, as are modifications; a simple welder will take care of it.

Galvanized trailers are steel dipped into zinc. Have seen galvanized boat trailers. I won’t weld on galvanized metal or cut it with a torch….nothing like zinc sickness.

There are many types of aluminum and trailers, like boats, are an aluminum alloy. Pluses and minuses to the alloys. Some don’t weld worth a crap, but can be quite strong in the circumstances (think planes and rivets), some are not strong, and some are a balance between strength and weight. Welding aluminum…doing it properly…is not an easy task. Contamination from many things causes issues. 5000 series aluminum is pretty common for trailers, boats, and ramps.

Yes, you will generally see steel hinges and pins on aluminum trailers, ramps, etc. To get an alloy of aluminum that is strong enough to use for hinges and pins presents one heck of a challenge.

A lot of good information posted. Shop around, check the reviews, and decide what works for you. Consider the empty weight of the trailer and capacity and see what suits your needs.

Chuck Melcher
    Participant

Thanks all….

munchy
    Participant
    NULL

To get an alloy of aluminum that is strong enough to use for hinges and pins presents one heck of a challenge.

Don’t need aluminum, just need stainless steel.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.