Staying on Lake Ida

• jbg1219
    Participant
    NW Iowa

Going to head out in the morning for a long weekend on Lake Ida, my wife’s grandmother and her sister own the place and they are all too old to get out and fish anymore. They have invited us up and would like for me to catch enough fish for fish fry to feed 8. Not looking for a honey hole, but just some general knowlege. We will get there Thursday afternoon, and they want me to fry fish Friday night. Does not give me much time to figure out the patterns or locate fish. I am thinking my best bet is going to be bluegills. Any tips on must have colors/ bait or what depth to look at?

bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

Work the weed edges, you will get all kinds of fish.

jbg1219
    Participant
    NW Iowa

Thanks, What depth is the weed edge at that lake? I know the boat available for use has a depth finder, but that is an old black and white humminbird and the last time I was on the boat I could not get it to even show bottom. It shows the depth in a digital read out but I could not get the bottom to display.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Cast a spoon with a treble hook towards shore until you start ripping weeds. You found the weedline.

dirk-w.
    Participant
    Minnesota

I’ve never fished Ida so take this for what it’s worth. I’ve seen the water one time and it was extremely clear. The weed edge is probably going to be deep, and you might want to fish early or late or after dark. Or, hope for clouds and some wind.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Well let’s see. I fished Ida with my dad when I was 10 years old.. about 55 years ago roughly.

He looked for Cabbage weeds for gills and pike. Mostly gills. It grows deeper and does well while other veggies are starting to die back.

We used ice flies and waxies.

We found these weeds by watching 2 boats leave a resort and hightail it out into the lake. They knew where they were going so we followed them….until they split off and went two separate directions. As luck would have it, we stopped to figure out where we were going to go and I said, “dad, what are these weeds” under the boat. We never moved after that.

jbg1219
    Participant
    NW Iowa

Thanks for all the tips, But the C word has us changing our plans. Right hand turn to minneapolis and take in a twins game I guess.

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

Whos the C word? The wife or the grandma?

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Whos the C word? The wife or the grandma?

I think he means the Fauci one. rotflol jester rotflol

jbg1219
    Participant
    NW Iowa

Yes… There was a positive test taken and we have decided to change route and head for a twins game instead. Which brings me to me next question… what area of the cities should a guy avoid (if any) to get a hotel room for a family of 4? Looking for low crime and easy access. Going to be at Target field for first time since Covid-19 and all the riots up here. I am sure it has all died out, but want to know if there is an area to avoid. I am thinking about the SW area like Chanhasse/ Shakopee

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.