Starcraft/Smokercraft

• Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Now it’s not all models but I just picked up a smokercraft with a 115 tiller that has a .160 bottom, .125 sides, all welded hull, all aluminum transom/no wood, not a square inch of carpet all vinyl. Try finding an all welded hull with that thickness in a popular brand around here.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Now it’s not all models but I just picked up a smokercraft with a 115 tiller that has a .160 bottom, .125 sides, all welded hull, all aluminum transom/no wood, not a square inch of carpet all vinyl. Try finding an all welded hull with that thickness in a popular brand around here.

2072 Pro Sportsman?

HRG

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Yup

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Alagnak Pete wrote:</div>

2072 Pro Sportsman?

HRG

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

One advantage of not buying a Cadillac, is that there is more money to put into your electronics and trolling motors. We really only spend a small part of our boat’s life in rough water going full throttle. I took my son to a jr high bass national tournament in TN. Mine, a 2003 Crestliner Fishawk, was one of three aluminum boats out of 50. Quite a few guys wondered why I had such an average boat with a MinnKota Ultrexx. I had a lesser boat with above average accessories. What do I know? If it starts and floats you can catch fish. Good luck

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

It was a repeat. Sorry, not worth reading twice.

Houdehni

I own a 2017 Smoker Craft Ultima and have no complaints. It has been a good family boat and fishing boat for us. If you want you can message me.

Well, what do you know. It’s been a year since I posted but still in the planning stage of purchasing. Was really hoping to sit in a bunch of boats this spring at a few shows in March, but then the coronavirus happened (I’m in Michigan). So, now it’s continued online viewing until likely fall at dealers, and then early 2021 shows if I don’t find one by then. Would love to hear about the ultima.

Patrick T Troy

Bringing this back up. I’m restricted to a 16′ boat and considering the Starcraft 160TL. Want to hang a 60HP Tohatsu on it. I’ve read some reports on the 18’er but not much on the 16′. Anyone with experience or know a stocking dealer? If I order the boat it’s a bit pricey: $12K with trailer no motor. Weighs 875lbs, and I’m thinking it should handle the Northern Chesapeake Bay just fine. Comments?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have fished out of Lund’s and smokers for over 20 years.
    Resale is not good.

Is this real life? Lund’s have the most RIDICULOUS resale value as long as you stay in the midwest. When you have 20 year old lunds still get upwards of $15,000 I’d say the resale is pretty good. Now go down south and people will trade a lawn mower for a lund.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Just re-fi’d the tail end of our boat loan. What the bank told us it’s worth is around 5k more than we paid for it brand new 3 years ago. Made me laugh a little, but lenders clearly disagree with your resale value statement.

Umy
    South Metro

I had an 89 Tyee until a year ago. Spent a lot of days on 2-3 footers in Canada. Dry as a bone. Floor rock solid.
    Take care of them, they take care of you.

marendt
    Lake City, MN

Get a pontoon! more space, super easy to fish out of, turns into a party barge, kids can jump out in any direction, did I mention more space? can’t sink it (pretty sure). Ive had a brand new Lund fisherman as well as a 619 Ranger. Yes I miss my Ranger, but for my non tournament needs, the toon is awesome to fish out of as well as a great family friends boat.

BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

Bringing this back up. I’m restricted to a 16′ boat and considering the Starcraft 160TL. Want to hang a 60HP Tohatsu on it. I’ve read some reports on the 18’er but not much on the 16′. Anyone with experience or know a stocking dealer? If I order the boat it’s a bit pricey: $12K with trailer no motor. Weighs 875lbs, and I’m thinking it should handle the Northern Chesapeake Bay just fine. Comments?

I think the boat center has a couple 16′ starcrafts in stock still with yamahas. If it’s anything like the 18 footer you’ll love it.

Patrick T Troy

Thanks, what city is The Boat Center?

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Patrick T Troy wrote:</div>

I think the boat center has a couple 16′ starcrafts in stock still with yamahas. If it’s anything like the 18 footer you’ll love it.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Patrick T Troy wrote:</div>
    Thanks, what city is The Boat Center?

Ramsey, MN.

https://www.theboatcenter.com/

And Chippewa Falls, WI 54729

2021 Starcraft Delta 168T – Burgandy

HRG

toddrun

Go on a road trip, get out of MN, and look for dealers south with the model you want. Price drops considerably the further south you go.

If you want to bargain hunt, look for Larson dealers in other states. It is a bargain glass boat, and since they quit making them, prices dropped. Solid boat, just don’t expect Ranger/Warrior quality.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

Go on a road trip, get out of MN, and look for dealers south with the model you want. Price drops considerably the further south you go.

If you want to bargain hunt, look for Larson dealers in other states. It is a bargain glass boat, and since they quit making them, prices dropped. Solid boat, just don’t expect Ranger/Warrior quality.

I’m not sure I agree with this statement. We saved SIGNIFICANT money driving north vs south and everywhere in-between. IMO if the dealer is moving significant volumes they can offer a better price. We came to the cities and saved over $10k from the next closest dealer $$ wise.

JiffyRude

I own a 2004 SmokerCraft Pro Angler 172, have kids, and use it for all purposes. It handles rough waters fine (within reason given the size) and as long as the navigator knows what they are doing, you’ll remain fairly dry and in one piece, this includes Leech, Mille Lacs and Rainy. That goes for any boat. It’s a nice, wide beam, open and your typical deep-v layout. An bigger Ultima would be all this and more. A lot of nice aluminum deep-v’s out there, riveted and welded. If you are not brand-biased you will read that SmokerCraft designs a solid hull. I do not think you would be disappointed with an Ultima, especially if it is an 18′. I would not hesitate on buying another Smoker.
    Enjoy your boat!

BAR

Is there still wood used in these boats? Looking at StarCraft storm, but a wood transom would be a deal breaker. Prefer to not have wood decking either. Unable to find the info on their website. Thanks.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Is there still wood used in these boats? Looking at StarCraft storm, but a wood transom would be a deal breaker. Prefer to not have wood decking either. Unable to find the info on their website. Thanks.

Call them.

MX1825

Bar give The Boat Center a call. A very good dealer and will answer all your questions. They have several Starcraft boats on their website.

715-833-2662

Viewing 21 posts - 31 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.