St. Croix Rod Blank Input

• PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

I am going to be making a hybrid panfish/light walleye rod in the near future. I have decided on the 1 piece 6’6″ Light Power, Fast Action as I have this rod in the Premier and it is very versatile. They make this blank in both the SCV and SCIII models, I know the SCV is a better blank but is it worth the extra money? I plan to pair it with Recoil guides and a small diameter cork handle.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I you are going to spend the money on recoil guides dont cut yourself short by buying the lesser blank.

The SCV blank is lighter and alot more sensitive !

If it were I,I would turn that small diameter cork handle into a split grip.

What reel you using ?

I am not sure I would use a “light” rod for walleye tho, but it will make a GREAT panfish rod !
    What ever you decide please post ending results.

JMHO Jeff

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

St. Croix makes some seriously good blanks-buy the best you can afford?? As for a 6’6″ light blank for walleye: I have a 6’6″ UL Avid (fast action)that I rarely use for walleye, but in certain instances it’s a game changer. Basically, in a light bite or a situation where they tend to mouth the bait. Occasionally, while dragging/vertical jigging, or drifting light live bait rigs, I’ve had cases where the slower load-up on the rod blank either gave them time to get the hook in their mouth and/or kept them from feeling the load up and dropping it. My Med-lights and medium fast actions were just a bit too stiff for the application of the day. South of P4(yes, there are others pools with great walleye in them) ;-) I’ve seen guys who will fish an UL vertical jigging or rigging almost exclusively, and there’s been days that my ML or M walleye rods were just a bit too fast and I watched those guys outfish me-we were all getting bit, but my “faster” rods were costing me hook ups.
    The ability to drive a solid hook set into a fish in a typical pitching or vertical presentation makes the light rod sometimes underpowered. In my sometimes less than humble opinion, sounds like an awesome panfish set-up with secondary applications for ‘eyes, depending on conditions. When she’s done, post a pic please? waytogo

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Thanks for the input guys. I have used a 6’6″ Premier Light power for my primary walleye rod as long as I can remember, so I feel pretty confident in its ability to dual purpose although it may be a tad light for some walleye situations. I am leaning towards the SCV but dang it’s going to get pricey building it, even with a discount. I use braid 95% of the time so I figure the no stretch makes up for some lack of rod power. Once I get her made up I will post up some pictures!

scmelik
    South Dakota

I love St. Croix blanks they are amazing but have you looked at possibly using a Rod Geeks blank? They are designed either by a ex St. Croix designer or they are a subsidiary of St. Croix (I cannot remember which) but they are amazing blanks and as good as any St. Croix I have used. Not only that but they are cheaper and you can get it in custom colors as well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.