St. Croix Bluffs

• walleyewizard

Anyone know the statis of the St. Croix Bluffs access. Was out there a few weeks ago and it was tough going due to low water.

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Bluffs are open as I was just there yesterday, but it is as low as I have ever seen in over 20 years. Essentially, you are launching off the launch in small rocks. Not smooth at all so be careful. As a side note, be careful heading out also, as I have been reading just a tad under 3 feet at one spot, so you might want to raise your engine.

Good Luck.

Paulski

walleyewizard

Bluffs are open as I was just there yesterday, but it is as low as I have ever seen in over 20 years. Essentially, you are launching off the launch in small rocks. Not smooth at all so be careful. As a side note, be careful heading out also, as I have been reading just a tad under 3 feet at one spot, so you might want to raise your engine.

Good Luck.

Paulski

Thanks for the info. With that, are there other options in the area? Hastings or Prescott?

Paulski

Prescott Boat Launch, Windmill Marina boat Launch, and Hudson are places that come to mind off the top of my head.

Good Luck

Paulski

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

no problems getting out of Hudson at Lakefront launch.

Jim

Launched at the Bluffs this AM. One spot about 3’ near rock buoy, otherwise 5’. Lots of boats launching.

Tom Hubbard

Launched at the Bluffs this AM. One spot about 3’ near rock buoy, otherwise 5’. Lots of boats launching.

Jim
    How was the fishing?…Any whitebass?

Paulski

I am sure I am not representative of everyone, but pretty much I am not even catching rough fish let alone my target species. Been trying multiple spots with crawlers & minnows with little success on live bait rigs. I think the river needs to come up, as it is way low, and I would not mind the temps getting below 60 either. Maybe next week. I saw alot more bait fish this week, but nary a biter for me.

Paulski

Evan Veire

I’m with you Paulaski. I haven’t done well the last couple trips. Leadcore around structure has produced an occasional keeper but no bites trolling main basin areas. Talked to a few guys that did ok with cranks shallow in the early morning. Going to go out tomorrow and will try plastic shallow and try to fish a little more current. Marked plenty of fish especially south close to Prescott but can’t get them to bite. Nice time to be on the river whether the bite or not though. Good luck!

Jim

No white bass, which is a little strange. Getting just a few walleyes/saugers. Brief flurries of activity then nothing. Seems like small walleyes/saugers are in the community spots.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I was out a few days ago but waiting for wind to die down. Could be a long wait!

showags
    Hastings, MN

Has anybody used this in the past couple weeks? Wondering how useable it is with the really low water we are seeing. Last fall was pretty tricky and I believe the water is even lower now. Thanks

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

If your worried about it, use Hastings or Prescott.

Prescott has a rock pile at the end of the dock that’ll bite you if you have her hanging low. FYI

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I used the launch at the Bluffs today. Conditions similar to last fall. My rear truck tires were off the concrete ramp and on crushed rock and it’s hard to get the trailer even close to level when it’s in the water. Most of the channel was around 4′ deep.

3Rivers

On a side note, the St Croix is essentially at the lowest level ever right now (75.28) and on a trend to break the record (75.1) early next week, unless of course we get some rain in the next few days.

showags
    Hastings, MN

Thank you for the replies. We used the launch yesterday afternoon and found exactly what Pat K described. It worked fine for our 17′ fishing boat, but I’d be more cautious with bigger boats/trailers.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.