Spinnerbait trailer

• FryDog62

The Bass Elites were in the area recently and a few stayed behind to spend some time on a few Minn lakes… A friend of mine fished with one of them yesterday on a fairly pressured tournament lake.

They caught a lot of fish and some great quality largemouth and smallmouth. The lure that outshined the rest was a spinnerbait – tipped with a 4.25 inch Maxscent flatworm as a trailer.

Probably added some profile to the lure, but more than anything scent. He said they slow rolled the Spinnerbaits and with the added scent, it attracted bluegills. The gills would draw in the larger bass into striking. Almost like an umbrella rig where it attracted a small school and got the attention of the better fish nearby.

Worth a try… it is spinnerbait season!

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I’ve been using the powerbait power swimmer for a trailer most of the time lately. Not necessarily because of the scent, but I do like the little added weight and how the bait runs with it. I have yet to pick up any of the maxscent stuff, but need to try this.

On the subject of spinnerbaits, I am running low and plan to stock up soon. Which ones would you recommend? Usually run a 3/8oz, sometimes 1/2, but prefer more of a mid-size profile for the overall size.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Interesting concept.

I use both 3/8 and 1/2 ounce versions. I prefer the Terminator brand, but the T1 Titanium series has been discontinued. Luckily I still have about 5 or 6 of them.

FryDog62

I usually have Bob at Wayzata Bait make them for me 3/8 and 1/2 oz… any blades and skirt colors you want. He thankfully makes them with the closed loop! Used to get them 3 for $10, but now might be $15. Still a steal all round IMO.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I usually have Bob at Wayzata Bait make them for me 3/8 and 1/2 oz… any blades and skirt colors you want. He thankfully makes them with the closed loop! Used to get them 3 for $10, but now might be $15. Still a steal all round IMO.

I purchased a Buzzbait recently with the open loop design. They included a o-ring – About like the ones used for wacky rigging to slide over the open loop prior to tying on the bait. Thought that was a cool idea as I also hate the open loop design. I have since added the o-ring to all my open ring designed buzz and spinnerbaits. Neat idea to prevent the knot from sliding past the bend as well as preventing the line from getting wrapped up on the open design ones

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

As far as trailers go, I almost always use one on both spinnerbaits and Buzzbaits. I normally use a Swimbait of some type. I like the added thump the tail of those give off. I also will use a Double tail Grub or a split tail grub as a trailer.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

It is always spinnerbait season for pike. I don’t target bass. I normally use 3/8 oz with different blade combinations to get the desired running depth. This is the time of the year I add trailers to my spinner baits to bulk them up. Last year my most productive trailer was a straight wacky worm. The vibration of the blades must have moved the wacky worm just enough to make it work.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Last year my most productive trailer was a straight wacky worm.

Come again…?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rodwork wrote:</div>
    Last year my most productive trailer was a straight wacky worm.

Come again…?

I think maybe it was a strait worm rigged wacky style. I could see where that might work. Would probably look about like a split tail grub

tim hurley

Joe-I also use the Terminator Titaniums. I have always used them like they are indestructable (they make fighter jets out of the stuff) I have broke 2 just this year-I would slap them on the water to get the weeds off, both broke where the arm meets the head.
    I like them because if you speed them up to get threw weeds the body flexes instead of staying stiff and spinning out.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have always used them like they are indestructable

There is a noticeable difference when comparing it to a steel framed one. The steel versions bend and eventually break after enough pike attack them. Seems like once they get bent, they never run the same as they originally did either. And as Rodwork stated, its always spinnerbait season for pike.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Did some digging in my tackle box and found another titanium minus the blades and trailer. Score! Any good recommendations for the willow blade and swivel replacements?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.