Topwater Rods

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I asked this in a previous post but I think it got glossed over with talk of flourocarbons and baitcasters.

What do you topwater gurus recommend for rods when fishing topwater? I like a 6′ 8″ Avid for most of my topwater work. What is everyone else using?

tom_gursky
    Participant
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I use the same rod in both spinning and baitcasting models James. ES 68MXF spinning and TBC 68MXF baitcasting…

I run 8# or 10# Suffix for spinning and 20# Power Pro with a 6′ Pline Flourocarbon on my baicaster (Quantum Energy).

The actions of these rods give great casting versatility from Pop Rs to Zara Spooks and the Xfast action loads up super quick for good hooksets…even with the mono line. My 2nd choice is my old favorite Browning Midas 6’6″ MF Boron casting rod. Its softer tip section, coupled with superbraid give me a shock absorber for my old habit of “over doing” the hookset… which can happen with superbraid lines…as there is little or no stretch.

My old Browning rod, and early model BP Mag reel…frog finish Heddon Torpedo in a nice 20″ Smallie… Man!! I love topwater!!!

Jack Naylor
    Participant
    Apple Valley, MN

hi James,

Most of my Topwater is fishing Scum Frogs in heavy cover for BIG FISH. So my rod of choice is a 7 foot Medium Heavy casting rod, and when I put this rod together a few years ago, I had an extra Musky reel, which is the AbuGarcia 6500C, and on that I put 50 Stealth Spiderwire. Tie the line right on the lure, no snaps or any thing, tie the line right on the lure (it’s very important). If I am throwing buzzbaits in a more open water situation, then I have a casting rod (also a med/heavy 7 footer) with 20 pound Stealth line.

For the rubberfrog rod this year, I might give a 7 1/2 Med/Heavy rod a try, to see if it helps with the casting distance throwing those light Frogs.

Make sure you check my BIG Fish pics this June and July !!!!!

Jack..

Tom- Great Topwater Smallie- you ARE killing ME….

et1770
    Participant
    Shakopee, MN

In addition to tying your line directly to the lure, make sure you use a loop knot like a bowline or something else like it. Having that loop on the eyelet instead of a tight knot dramatically improves the action of the lure.

timdomaille
    Participant
    Rochester Mn

James. Great question. I used a couple different rods. For open water I use a 6’10” Med with 12# P-Line Flouro. 7′ Med 20# Suffix mono for Buzzers. 7′ Med/Heavy 65# Power Pro for toads and frogs.

glenn-walker
    Participant
    Shakopee, MN

For this year I just picked up a 6’6″ Quantum Gerald Swindle Tour Edition rod that is specifically made for fishing topwaters, especially Chug Bugs and Pop-R’s. I can’t wait to put this rod to use, I will let everyone know how it is.

fluker
    Participant

Walking Baits – Loomis CB847. This is there heaviest crankbait series blank. (CBR847 stock rod #)

Pop-R’s – Shikari ISJ703. Medium action spinning blank.

Frogs – 7′ MH St Croix w/ Braid.

Buzzbaits – 66 M action Avid w/ 20 LB mono. I’m usually making shorter casts to cover with this so the short rod helps with accuracy for me.

One thing that I will note differently than some of the others above is that I do NOT use fluro on Topwater. The low stretch is very nice, especially for walking baits, but the fact that it sinks just does not work for me. If you let the bait sit for a length of time, the line is well under water and hinders workign the bait in my opinion.

Just my opinion, no proven facts here!

Fluker

mossboss
    Participant
    La Crescent, MN

6’6″ Falcon Original M action I won in a tournment is the rod I use most for Pop-R’s, Chug Bugs, etc. It’s cheap, but the action is slow, which I like for keeping fish hooked up on small trebles, and is seems to let me work the bait how I like to work it. I have a 6’6 Falcon Expert with an extra fast tip, it is a similar rod to the 6’8″ St. Croix. I never liked it for topwater, it appears I am in the minority. Seemed I lost more fish with less give in the rod, especially hard charging smallies. I would like to try a ML or L action with a fast tip though.

For spooks, I have an old discontinued MH 6′ Bass Pro rod that seems to have JUST the right action. If I break that rod, I will

mossboss
    Participant
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

One thing that I will note differently than some of the others above is that I do NOT use fluro on Topwater. The low stretch is very nice, especially for walking baits, but the fact that it sinks just does not work for me. If you let the bait sit for a length of time, the line is well under water and hinders workign the bait in my opinion.

Just my opinion, no proven facts here!

Fluker

Couldn’t agree more Chuck. I’ve become a major fan of Flouro, but the sinking of flouro makes it a huge no-no for me with topwaters. I use mono exculsively, except for braids with frogs.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Participant
    Blaine, mn

my top waters are all 7′ mediums with 30# stealth on spinning reels. all gander guide series rods. I just picked up a IM8 medium with fast tip for jigs.

shane

corey_waller
    Participant
    hastings mn

If im in the back ot the boat I like a 6 foot med action if Im throwing poppers and spooks because i hate when my rod slaps the water.If Im throwing frog ans stuff in the slop I like a 7 foot med heavy with 50# power pro.

Jeremiah Shaver
    Participant
    La Crosse, WI

If the fish are busting, I drop my flipping stick and grab whatever rod is on the deck and start casting…..whatever that is becomes my topwater rod

cade-laufenberg
    Participant
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I don’t personally have a single rod dedicated to topwaters. I used to, but that broke on the tip and is now a very short rod I use for spinnerbaits as a backup The rod was a 6’6″ fenwick Medium with a very soft tip. I had an abu garcia LP baitcaster w/ 6:3:1 gear ration and it was the bomb for poppers and spooks. The soft action tip really is a key in my opinion. Unlike some who like no stretch, I find it to be my best friend with topwaters. I use 12 lb mono and with that soft tip it has a TON of stretch. It gives the fish plenty of time to get the bait down and you really don’t want to yank the bait away from them which happens easier with less stretch..

Buzzbaits though, are a completely different story. I personally don’t throw buzzbaits much for schooling fish. I view them more as a search bait and I also don’t think they require that stretch like you would with a treble hook plug. I don’t so much care about the rod/line with a buzzbait. Any MH rod will do just fine..braid, mono, doesn’t seem to matter to me. I generally throw buzzbaits on 12 lb mono on a MH 6’6″ rod with a fast reel. All my baitcasters except one are 6’6″ so like slop said, just pick up any one on the deck and tie up!

Frogs..its got to be the 7′ MH lightning rod with 50 lb power pro, but I have thrown them on a 6’6″ MH with braid and didn’t have any trouble. Just like the 7′ for more leverage when it comes time to winch them out of the crap!

riverfan
    Participant
    MN

Sounds like I’m out of step with everyone but I like a short 6’ medium action casting rod for top-water walking and popping baits. I like to stroke with the rod tip down so a shorter rod works best. I don’t have the numbers but I’ve got a Berkley Series One I got for $18 at here outlet store. The reel is a Shimano Scorpion spooled with 14 lb mono. With the rig I can spool the reel with a Super Spook Jr. That way I can reach those real spooky ones before they know I’m around.

John

BomberA
    Participant

John, I’m with you. I use a 6ft medium St Croix Premier that I think I have had for about 10 years. It works perfect for walking baits especially for a guy of my height (or lack thereof). I pair it with a pflueger trion and 14lb AN40 and I can cast a sammy about a quarter mile

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.