Swimjigs

• tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Way back when I was fishing some Bass tourneys swim jigs were the “new” thing going…
    I fish mainly Smallies up north here but I think I am missing the boat by not trying these for smallies also. I know some of you do catch a lot of Smallies on the SwimJigs. Any recommendations for pre spawn/spawn applications for clear water. Colors, size, rod/reel/line set ups? I’d like to try some on Chequamegon Bay in a couple weeks. Thanks Guys!

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Tom, I really like bright colors for spring time smallies chartruse is always good for me. In clearer water alot of times I like to go to a more natural color like green- green and red. Here’s the color combo that’s worked pretty good for me in the past couple weeks…

This is a Hogg Hunter Jig with a BFT bleeding gold grub trailer.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

What is your favorite gear set up for swim jigs in a clear water early season lake like Millelacs?

duckilr
    Mississippi River

When I am swimming jigs it’s on a 7-0 MH, fast tip Cabela’s XML Rod- I like a faster ratio reel (at least a 6.0:1). I fish a Shimano Citica on my swim jig set up (6.3:1) typically spool on 40lb Power Pro. The way I fish swim jigs is purely a reaction bite so you don’t have to worry about the fish seeing your line and I want NO STRETCH to burry the hook. If you want to get your hands on some Hogg Hunter jigs before your trip give Hutch a call (www.riverwalleyes.com).

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

I have been running char/white right now and when they move up to spawn I switch to and all red jig. I prefer to use a glass crank rod for throwing swim jigs spooled with 10#. This weekend watch out Trout Lake.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.