Which Line Is the best??

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Hi guys, I’m doing a project for biology. We have to do a test as a project that will include a proceedure, title, hypothesis, materials, and safety concerns. I try to do school projects based on fishing as much as possible because I can usually find it easier to do a much better quality work when working on something I have a passion for I thought it would be interesting to make a post on here and see what people think will be the strongest line out of the 3 brands I am testing. I didn’t choose any expensive big name brands because it is just a project, but I using 12 lb test Sufix Siege (7.99/300 yds), Trilene big game ($7.88/1200 yds), and Silver thread AN40 (2.49/300 yds)

Also I’m going to be testing knot strength of these lines. I’m going to use the Uni knot, fisherman’s knot, and polymer knot to see which lines will work well with the particular knot. Of course, I don’t use a uni knot when tying lures on the main line, but was interested to see just how strong it was. I’m going to use a 50 lb berkley scale to determine the ammount of pressure in pounds at the time of the break of the line. The line lengths will be 5 feet long for the testing, allowing room for the mono to stretch like it would in a natural fishing situation. I have not completed the testing yet, but Will be doing it next weekend I think. I thought I would create this post and a poll to see what everyone else thinks will be the overall strongest line.
    Thanks for voting! I’ll keep you updated on the final test results, and I’ll post my Proceedure, materials, and Hypothesis later.

Thanks,
    Cade

justin_panno
    La Crosse, WI

wow this is a pretty cool project , i was gonna ask you in school more details on it but you have it all covered in the post, let us know what line is the strongest too, that will be a thing that we will all wanna know, lol.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I would like to get some other lines in the mix, however I can’t afford to shell out more than 5-10 bucks for line when its only a school project..I have already gone above and beyond the assignment criteria so no point in blowing money I need I wish I could get some power pro, and other higher end lines and compare them with the cheaper lines. another variable worth testing would be line strength after use. I’d definitely be interested to see what lines hold up the best. Maybe I’ll try it. I’ll keep everyone updated!

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

I use that Siege on my lightweight small river cat rod. That stuff is strong, and tough as nails, very abrasion resistant.

PS How do you view results of a poll??

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

It should show up after you vote. It does for me. I selected “force viewers to vote before viewing poll results” it’s either that or you can’t view them til its over. So i chose the other one. as soon as you vote, The results will appear in place of the actual poll choices

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Hey Cade… Whether the tests are truly scientific or not, please posts your results as well as your report (if you are willing). Great job!!!

jeff_hansen

Hey Cade, keep up the good work… can’t wait to see the results…

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Cade..if I was you…I’d save the results and this entire thread, including you posting the results here and send them to the Promotions Manager of that line manufacturer. I just betcha that you will have a life time supply of line each year as long as you want!

I have zero experience with two of the three choices. I DO use Silver Thread An-40. So….bring it on!

Congratulations on your acedemic efforts!

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Thanks Guys Steve, I have the AN40 spooled on a lot of my rods right now. I needed some line fast a few weeks ago and found it real cheap at gander so I bought a couple spools. It seems decent..but I don’t know if it will be better than the trilene thanks for the idea with the life time line I might have to try that. I know it worked when I told booyah how I got on TV with their product listed..They sent me a lot of free stuff and I can thank Mr. Hansen “Str8shooter” for recommending that idea to me

Well I’ll keep you posted. I don’t have to present this til like May so I’m going to weight a week or so and let this poll go before I do the tests

Thanks,
    Cade

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

My son did a similar project about 10 years ago. He used a Fed Ex scale that measured to the nearest .05 lb. He duct taped a pipe to the scale and then tied on a hook and stuck the hook in the end of the pipe and applied down pressure until it broke, watching the scale.
    There were some real surprises but don’t really remember all the details except that we tested some Cabela’s superbraid that was supposed to be 12 lb. test and it consistently broke at around 8 lbs. Most of the line broke slightly above the test strength with a few consistently stronger than the test weight.
    Have fun – let us know your findings!

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Hi guys. just wanted to let you know that I didn’t take a zero on this project I am presenting it tomorrow and Just finished up the testing last night..(procrastination works wonders!!! )
    Anyway, I’ll try and post results now, as well as a basic overview of the “stats” and strongest line. I would like to try this with some other lines as well, the test seemed to work well. Maybe that will enable me to find what is wrong with that power pro I am using, and find which knot is the best that I should be using.
    Anyway,
    Sufix mono took the top honors for strongest line, with 83lbs9oz for 6 tests. The Suggested 12 lb test range for 6 times would be 72 lbs if the line were a uniform 12 lbs. I felt that that is a pretty good number, and lets me know that I can trust sufix when I get a good fish on the line. None of this netting 16″ers crap…I like to flip those 20″ers in the boat and Sufix allows me to do just that!

Trilene Big game held up very well, especially considering the outstanding price for over a thousand yards of line! It came in 2nd place with 81 lbs 10 oz. Again, the average is 72. I am overall impressed with the Trilene, and enjoy using it. I do use it on a couple of my rods for certain applications and have not had any issues with it yet.

Silver Thread, on the other hand, did not do so well. It still stayed above average, which is good, and came in with 75lbs 1oz. The problem with silver thread is it is seriously lacking abrasion resistance, and kinks up very easy. Instead of wasting quality line, I used the same piece of line for each test. I know, This breaks the variable of the same length of line, but this allowed me to also check for line wear and how that effects the lines strength. The silver thread progressively got worse and the weights were rapidly decreasing. Trilene did take a beating, but still held rather consitant weights, while sufix showed no signs of weakness at all, and kept on truckin’! I did break at 8lbs 11oz on the first try with the sufix, but I think that is because I pulled too hard, too fast. The key is to pull back very slowly and allow the scale to adjust. After that first mishap, everything went smoothly.

On the knot side of things, The palomar seemed to be the overall strongest line. With Trilene big game, there was one time where the line actually broke in the center of the line, not on either of the 2 knots that just goes to show how strong the palomar knot is.

The overall heaviest weight came from sufix, and surprisingly with the improved clinch knot. I find this to be a good knot in general, and very easy/quick to tie, but until last night, I never trusted it with a big fish!

I am going to attempt to attach the powerpoint that I created for this project. Please let me know what you think and feel free to ask questions about the tests if there is anything that you feel I may have forgotten to add.

Thanks,
    Cade

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I am not going to be able to get all the slides on here, but I’ll try to post the results ones.

I made a mistake with this one. Instead of sufix siege in the top left, it is supposed to be Silverthread AN40. Sorry

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Lastly, I forgot to mention, that I tested dry knots and wet knots, as you can see. The only line that it seemed to help to have a wet knot was the Sufix. Hmm..Interesting.

jlallen

Hey just wondering where your test of Seagaur was

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Cade, if you plan on continuing this even after your school project is done, I’ll give you a bunch of lines to try.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Hey Dan, that sounds good. How bout a 1 lb spool of Sugoui
    Seriously though, If you want I can definitely carry it on. It will probably be little by little though. Just for the 3 lines it took me nearly 2 hours to set up, tie the knots and test. But I would definitely be willing to try anything you want. The Line poundage does not need to stay constent either. We can just look at it’s strength by the percentage of it’s actual weight. I almost did that, but I already had the lines bought and just used 12 lb line. Well anyway, Send me a PM and we can work it out

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.