The Ned Rig

• BBKK
    IA

Ha! I’ve been doing that for years. 1/16 or 1/8 jig head and the tail section of a 5″ stick in either black or GP. Mimics a dragonfly larvae and bass just go nuts over it in small ponds and clear lakes.

CornHunka

My next trip isn’t until Memorial Day. We are heading to Francis Case to chase smallies and probably pick up some walleye for the table. From what I’ve read, it doesn’t catch alot of big fish, just a lot of fish and isn’t that what everyone’s after?

BBKK
    IA

It works best for me in hot water, july. Works on largemouth and smallmouth. Just snap the rod tip so it darts about 6 inches to a foot. Dragonfly larvae are jet propelled little buggers that scoot along the bottom, they are a HUGE food source for bass, catfish, and big panfish. When the fish are in the weeds it does not work as well because you just get a jig full of crap every cast, but when they are on sand or mud it works great.

You are trying to mimic this

Here is how they scoot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xSe3NtS06g

As you can see, the partial stick mimics the food almost perfectly. And not many people have thought of it (I didnt even know about the article until now.. I thought it was a “secret”)

Bullet21XD

Quote:

Ha! I’ve been doing that for years. 1/16 or 1/8 jig head and the tail section of a 5″ stick in either black or GP. Mimics a dragonfly larvae and bass just go nuts over it in small ponds and clear lakes.

Same here! I prefer 1/4oz head. Good use of tore up worms.

I call it the [censored] rig. Cast and wind slow…bumping the bottom. The heavier weight causes a little more disturbance.

But, it will flat out catch fish…often when a jigworm, c-rig, or jig won’t.

Not sure how it works for smallies…I don’t fish for them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.