South Shore Coho?

• ssperch
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Hi All!

I am thinking of making a trip up on Friday (Pending weather/wind) and launching out of Superior, WI to fish the south shore river mouth areas.

I have fished the north shore a few times in the late summer, but am new to spring fishing the south side. I plan on pulling stick baits behind boards to start the day.

Does anyone think that this cold front would shut the bite down? Any current reports?

Tight Lines!

sharptailer
    Participant
    IGH, MN

If you have an open seat I would like to share expenses and learn. I have rods , boards and dipsys but no experience with Lake Superior and coho

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I just spoke with Cal Svihel and he had friends up fishing this weekend on the south shore. On Saturday they had 3 or 4 coho, a couple lakers and a brown. Nobody in their right mind fished on Sunday once the winds started to roll.

ssperch
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

@sharptailer I have got a full boat for this Friday if the weather holds up, however I hope to make a few more trips soon! I’ll shoot you a PM if I have got an open seat. I have very limited experience as well, so it would be a learning opportunity for the both of us.

@jamesholst
    Thanks for the update, James.

Looks like the winds are predicted to be up to 11 mph from the NE. Will that get the south shore rocking and rolling pretty good?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Looks like the winds are predicted to be up to 11 mph from the NE. Will that get the south shore rocking and rolling pretty good?

Winds from the NE can be get things rockin’ and rollin’ in a hurry.

mbenson
    Participant
    Minocqua, WI

NE is not the best wind for that location… or many others on the big lake… but if its not too big a wind, the fishing can be reasonably good.

Mark

ssperch
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Is 11 mph known to make it less fun in a 20 foot boat? I know on some bodies of water guys have a cut off where they just do not go out.

I just don’t want to drive 2.5 hours to look at the lake and turn around… Thanks!

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Is 11 mph known to make it less fun in a 20 foot boat? I know on some bodies of water guys have a cut off where they just do not go out.

I just don’t want to drive 2.5 hours to look at the lake and turn around… Thanks!

Keep an eye on this site. http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=DLH&product=NSH&issuedby=DLH It can change every 6 hours, but I usually feel ok when the forecast calls for 1-3′ waves. I was out in 2-4 and 3-5 according to the forecast and I couldn’t see over too many of them.

NE is surely the worst direction but can be manageable if it’s not too strong. Just don’t venture too far from the landing. I’ve also seen 15-25 mph winds on shore and not a breath in the lake.

mbenson
    Participant
    Minocqua, WI

http://windalert.com/map#46.675,-89.609,7,1,!12075,2

Try this one too, click on the arrow of the nearest reporting station (normally an airport of some size) then click on the forecast and check on the forecast. It doesn’t give ya wave forecast like the link above, which I look at also, but it can tell you what the wind forecast is for several days, not that any or all forecasts always correct, but I find in combination they can be effective together… Let me know if you need any help, be happy to try to…

Mark

usafcatm
    Participant
    Drummond, WI

There is always Chequamagon bay, little more protected but still need to be careful with a NE wind. That is one lake that can make you pay for a poor decision so be careful!

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

http://windalert.com/map#46.675,-89.609,7,1,!12075,2

Try this one too, click on the arrow of the nearest reporting station (normally an airport of some size) then click on the forecast and check on the forecast. It doesn’t give ya wave forecast like the link above, which I look at also, but it can tell you what the wind forecast is for several days, not that any or all forecasts always correct, but I find in combination they can be effective together… Let me know if you need any help, be happy to try to…

Mark

I definitely agree with ya. When planning a trip I always look at the wind graph forecast as well. Gives you a better idea what’s coming.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

With the forecast for Friday right now, I’d be surprised if it’ll be any problem at all. Looks like 5-10 out of the NE and maybe ENE.

That can change the night before though. The forecast can change throughout the day as well.

On days with a questionable wind/waves, I also keep the marine radio on the weather station. They periodically give wave height forecasts as well.

ssperch
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Looks like the trip will be on for Friday then as long as there is no drastic weather changes.

Any tips for fishing these fish after a cold front? Downsize and troll slower?

I’m planning on stocking up on some stick baits in abnoxiously bright colors, any must have items?

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Give a call to marine general. They’ll steer you in the right direction. They always have the latest report. If you get a chance, I highly recommend stopping in there as well. The have everything you could ever need as well as excellent advise.

Allan Davis
    Participant
    Carlton, MN

on Sunday the waves were 6 to 7 footers. They are doing ok on cohos. I like running down riggers or three ways getting down anywhere from 15 feet to 50 feet. On cold fronts I have had better luck letting more line out behind the down rigger I am talking 50 to 100 feet. I like original floating raps or shad raps. Cold fronts suck but with trout they will still bite they may go deeper in the water column but if you can find them you should be able to make them bite. I agree with BigGill marine general will have the most knowledge you can find. Good luck and tear them up.

Allan Davis
    Participant
    Carlton, MN

also we have had a lot of rain the past few days and in the lake where the St Louis comes in there is a lot of mud. Fish off the mud as far off as 100 yards and even right in it on the edges and you should be able to find something. fishing the mud can be killer!!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.