Solix and Mega360 on ice

• B D
    Participant

Anyone planning on using their Solix with Mega Live or Mega360 this Winter?

It doesn’t have “Ice Fishing” mode, but I’m not sure that’s a big deal – seems like you only lose out on a seasonal specific configuration, which can be accomplished by backing up your open water settings and restoring the Spring.

Also, the 2D ducer and flasher mode aren’t available, but I’m not planning on using the Solix for that anyway, as I have other sonar units.

What else am I missing? Wondering if James or anyone had any guidance or thoughts on using Solix this Winter.

–Trouthunter

Matt K
    Participant

I will be using my Solix with Mega 360 this winter. Basically be used as side imaging for ice fishing. Have been looking but haven’t seen where anyone has done it and posted about it.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Guys

I have a 13″ Apex (same software as the solix) that I plan to try out this winter due to that unit having an HDMI out which will make recording and sharing sonar footage less labor intensive. I’ll report back once I’ve had a chance to spin up a mount and put it on the ice.

JasonP
    Participant
    Twin Cities

Has anybody done any research on the shuttles yet? I wonder if the standard helix shuttles/bags will fit a 12″ solix?

…also, is the megaLive upgrade available for the solix yet?

Matt K
    Participant

From what I have seen, I don’t think it will fit. You may be able to switch mounting bracket out but unsure. I took a Garmin shuttle/bag and mounted my 10″ Solix in it. I had my 12″ on it but the bag could not be zipped closed, which might not be a big deal.

B D
    Participant

I tried to use the bird shuttle but the solix is narrower than the helix, and so it wouldn’t fit. I removed the ducer holder and drilled new holes in the solix gimbal to match the mounting holes that were there for accessories on the base. I added an SAE connector on the solix power cord and the connections are all fairly straight forward now. If I didnt have the bird shuttle already I’d go a different route, maybe the garmin bag.

B D
    Participant

So far so good on ice operations. Solix is so much easier to use than helix with long press and pinch to zoom. There are more menu options with solix and i think the unit spins faster, but that could just be my bias ;)

The 12” is a super nice upgrade and easy access to isolate the sweep makes getting more detail in a focused area the way to go.

Matt K
    Participant

I was out using the mega 360 this weekend and had issues with the head freezing and not spinning properly or recognizing when in water. I am guessing it is something I just have to deal with if using it to hole hop. Just curious if anyone has any tips.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.