Softshell jackets

• beardly
    Hastings, Mn

I’ve been looking at the Striker Rival jacket but came across the Aftco Reaper. They seem sort of similar. Anyone have experience with them? I’ve been able to look at the Striker but not the Aftco. Curious if the Aftco would be similar in warmth. Overall looking for a warm windproof jacket. I have a older version of the Rival and love it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have no experience with either. But in that category it’s going to be tough to beat mountain hardware, or marmot. I have both those and a arteryx that I love all 3 for this time of year. 100 percent gortex and windproof

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Marmot makes nice stuff. I’d give them a look.

Has anyone tried the Blackfish hooded pullover that’s softshell (Gale softshell)? It pops up on sale regularly for quite a bit less than some others.

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

I have the windproof reaper. It is definitely windproof. I found it to be plenty warm too. I haven’t tried the striker so I can’t compare them. I have quite a bit of AFTCO gear and I have been impressed with all of it.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

The KUIU Guide DCS jacket has been the best money I’ve ever spent.

CBMN
    North Metro

I have both the Gale and Apogee from blackfish and the new stormskin gale. I will admit I get a very nice discount but I have been using the stuff since it came out and I really like it. Replaced my heavy striker coat with a gale and a Milwaukee heated vest underneath. I hated the big bulky striker jacket, but do still use the bibs. I fish the river a fair amount in winter and hated the big bulky jacket and these are much less bulky and plenty warm if you are smart about how you layer. Haven’t tried the Striker Rival yet but it seem similar to the gale but a few years late.

Aboxy17

I just ordered a Striker renegade pullover super excited to try it. I like to wear a base layer then a heavy sweatshirt and a softshell all under my bibs when I am ice fishing. I almost never wear my heavy jacket over my bibs unless it is extremely brutal out. Hoping this renegade pullover will meet my needs this winter also should double good as an open water jacket.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

I just ordered a Striker renegade pullover super excited to try it. I like to wear a base layer then a heavy sweatshirt and a softshell all under my bibs when I am ice fishing. I almost never wear my heavy jacket over my bibs unless it is extremely brutal out. Hoping this renegade pullover will meet my needs this winter also should double good as an open water jacket.

Pretty much the exact same reasoning here. Not a fan of pull over jackets, though. Striker doesn’t have the Rival in my size so I might order the Aftco and see how it feels. If I go that route, I’ll report back!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

It’s funny this topic came up when it did. Just yesterday I ordered the blackfish stormskin 1/4 pullover. I plan to use it mostly as a standalone jacket but it looks like it could be used as a layer item in real extreme cold as well. They were 149.00 direct on blackfish site. Looked on Amazon and they had it shipping direct from Reeds for 119.00. Free shipping and returns if needed. I will say that I bought a aftco reaper sweatshirt last year and love it. I probably should have taken a closer look at the reaper jacket as well.
    If anyone owns the blackfish stormskin let me know what your thought on it are. I was a little undecided on size. I’m 5’10 and around 220. Could not decide between XL and 2XL. I kind of like my cloths slightly bigger so I can layer underneath if needed. Hope the 2XL is not to large. If so that free return will end up being used and I’ll reorder the XL. I’ll let everyone know what I think of it once it arrives in a few days.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I have a Striker Performance hoody that is awesome (but discontinued I think), looks to be similar to the Rival jacket.

CBMN
    North Metro

Fishthumper I have both the stormskin and the normal gale and I am 6′ 0″ and a bit over 200 lbs also. I primarily use the stromskin set as a warmer rain suit and just leave it in my truck and I use the normal gale as a good outer shell to a layered system. The first gale I bought was xl and I would put one heavier layer under it and it was snug so I now have one in 2XL and that is great for several layers in the winter. If I was to only have 1 I woudl get the 2xl and up to you if you want the water resistant or the stormskin. I also think the cut is slightly different on the two versions. The normal Gale is slightly more “fitted” and the stormskin is a bit baggier in the same size.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I have a Striker Performance hoody that is awesome (but discontinued I think), looks to be similar to the Rival jacket.

Great jacket! It’s been my winter coat the last few years

Nodakk

I have the Gale pullover and really like it. Wear it mostly ice fishing as my main outerwear. Usually just thermals underneath and I am plenty comfortable out hole hoping.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Fishthumper I have both the stormskin and the normal gale and I am 6′ 0″ and a bit over 200 lbs also. I primarily use the stromskin set as a warmer rain suit and just leave it in my truck and I use the normal gale as a good outer shell to a layered system. The first gale I bought was xl and I would put one heavier layer under it and it was snug so I now have one in 2XL and that is great for several layers in the winter. If I was to only have 1 I woudl get the 2xl and up to you if you want the water resistant or the stormskin. I also think the cut is slightly different on the two versions. The normal Gale is slightly more “fitted” and the stormskin is a bit baggier in the same size.

Thanks for the info. I’m looking forward to getting it and putting it to use.

Ty Kennedy

The blackfish stormskin pullovers are about the nicest things I’ve ever found. Worn them out on the ice in sub zero temps with just a base layer underneath with no problems.

B-man

I have the Blackfish Gale (original one), I love it. It’s like a hoodie on steroids.

Kept me warm this weekend in Canada toast

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20221016_170209999.PORTRAIT-scaled.jpg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

As others have said, the Gale pullover (while not really a jacket) takes the place of my coldweather jackets most days. Its so warm I don’t wear my ice fishing jacket on the ice. Same with early spring or late fall in the boat. And while I don’t own the Stormskin, it is very nice.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My neighbor is on the pro staff team and is a veterans guide. I’ll have to ask him about this gale pull over. Sounds intriguing

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

So those wearing the gale pullover, are you wearing it over or under your bibs ice fishing? I’d love to find a couple that I could throw under bibs Ice fishing for the colder days instead of just a hoodie or a baggy coat over everything.

I would also throw one on with some Work pants when out plowing instead of a full coat.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

As of now I never wear my climate jacket with my bibs but always wear the liner. If not it’s my marmot shell. But the pullover looks nice. And it’s not full zip so that’s a bonus

Ripjiggen

Hey all you Blackfish pullover fans. Which one are you guys talking about the one that is 119$ or 159$ does anyone know the difference in the two. So stormskin Gale pullover or just the Gale soft shell pullover?
    TIA

Attachments:
    1. D81028B8-ACE1-4188-B592-C915241FD91D.png

2. FC6E9B9A-1280-4052-BF20-F4F397E08DD2.png

stout93
    Becker MN

Hey all you Blackfish pullover fans. Which one are you guys talking about the one that is 119$ or 159$ does anyone know the difference in the two. So stormskin Gale pullover or just the Gale soft shell pullover?
    TIA

If you use Amazon, try looking at the Stormskin Gale. There is one color that is $119 and the rest are $159. The picture on your left is the Stormskin Gale I believe. The one on the right is the lighter shell I think.

I’m interested in pulling the trigger on this jacket too…

B-man

TIA

I believe the Storm Skin one is waterproof, the soft one is not (but it’s soft/quiet and wears like a regular hoodie

Bucky I wear mine under my bibs most of the time, unless it’s one of those days that get hot/cold/hot/cold when the sun comes out or the clouds move in.

You’ll love one. As I said earlier they’re a hoodie on steroids. Super warm and they block the wind, but without the bulk and restriction a normal jacket or parka gives you, and can also be worn under one just like a normal sweat shirt when it’s stupid cold out.

Ripjiggen

So the stormskin gale is the one that you guys are talking about and not the gale soft shell?

CBMN
    North Metro

B-man is on the right page. Original gale pullover is just a good quality wind blocking pullover that is not water proof/resistant rated. I have worn mine in snow and light drizzle rain and been just fine. The stormskin version is rated water resistant like a rain coat would be. I wore my stormskin gale this spring on the croix opener for a full day in medium to heavy rain and I got a little wet around the neck opening and think it finally soaked thru my seat a little so I had damp pants under the bibs but not wet and that was about it. I think I own 4 now between the two types and two sizes.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The gale pullover is what we (most of us, I think) are talking about. The stormskin came out recently and it the same thickness/warmth but has a more water repelling (more of a jacket type) outer shell. It’s not full rain gear though. Don’t get it confused. It will keep you dry on a light to moderate rain, but if it’s fully raining it won’t do as well as rain gear.

The gale pullover is the same thing but is less water resistant. It’ll keep you dry in a light drizzle but that’s it. Its just insanely warm and great for ice fishing or late fall early spring fishing. It runs a little big so it’s great to go over or under your bibs.

Ripjiggen

Ok thanks Mahto. And everyone else. Yeah it’s more for ice fishing so not to worried about dryness necessarily. Light snow sure. Blizzard i have other protectants for that.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The one I ordered is the stormskin gale. They are 149.00 on blackfish website but I found it on Amazon shipping from reeds for 119.00. I thought it may have been here today but no luck. After reading some of the post I’m starting to think it will end up being more of a stand alone jacket than a layer item. The regular gale pullover probably would be a better layering item.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The one I ordered is the stormskin gale. They are 149.00 on blackfish website but I found it on Amazon shipping from reeds for 119.00. I thought it may have been here today but no luck. After reading some of the post I’m starting to think it will end up being more of a stand alone jacket than a layer item. The regular gale pullover probably would be a better layering item.

I consider both of them outerwear. Because of how warm they are. One is not terribly waterproof and the other is. But I wear under armor or a longsleeve under my gale pullover and that’s all I need with bibs on. If it gets to single digits or lower I’ll put my Clam jacket on.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    TIA

I believe the Storm Skin one is waterproof, the soft one is not (but it’s soft/quiet and wears like a regular hoodie

Bucky I wear mine under my bibs most of the time, unless it’s one of those days that get hot/cold/hot/cold when the sun comes out or the clouds move in.

You’ll love one. As I said earlier they’re a hoodie on steroids. Super warm and they block the wind, but without the bulk and restriction a normal jacket or parka gives you, and can also be worn under one just like a normal sweat shirt when it’s stupid cold out.

Thanks for the info.

How does the gale pullover fit? I have 2 in the online cart now, but never know with sizing. For reference, I’m a fairly slender 5’11” and ~175-180#

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.