Snow depths?

• mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

I know its taboo to post in the Chisago area of this site, but I’m just looking for any info on how much snow is on the lakes up there or if they were open when we got the storm last week? Thanks in advance.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Why is it taboo?

Because no one ever posts in this area’s section. More sarcasm than anything serious…..

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

I might be up Saturday. Info would be great. Might throw some tip ups out in front of my folks place on Green.

bobberstop4054
    Participant

Lakes have 3 inches of fresh snow only! were smooth before this snow,

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Lakes have 3 inches of fresh snow only! were smooth before this snow,

Do you have any ice depths bobberstop?

That’s what I’ve been finding. Places holding ice post storm, the snow slurried down into a hard white layer, 7-8″ total now. I’ve been fishing on 4″ white ice over 3″ black ice that drills consistent. The open parts are 3-5″ black ice with only today’s snow on top.

I’m guessing most that snow probably blew off too?

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

That’s what I’ve been finding. Places holding ice post storm, the snow slurried down into a hard white layer, 7-8″ total now. I’ve been fishing on 4″ white ice over 3″ black ice that drills consistent. The open parts are 3-5″ black ice with only today’s snow on top.

I’m guessing most that snow probably blew off too?

Thanks fishwater!

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Any reports from anyone? I’m just gonna throw some tip ups in 6 to 8’ and try and snag a pike or two.

BoatsHateMe
    Participant
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Any recent ice reports for this area for walking out? Bad / dangerous slush? Thinking maybe North Center.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Any recent ice reports for this area for walking out? Bad / dangerous slush? Thinking maybe North Center.

Talked to a guy yesterday who fished Chisago on Sunday. He had planned to use his 4 wheeler and several local guys at the access told him don’t do it. They were finding very inconsistent ice including some “oh sh!t” spots that they were uncomfortable even walking on with the snow weight pushing down plus the thin ice. Sounded pretty sketchy.

Grouse

tim hurley
    Participant

Fished a small lake near Harris (not too far) Ice was ok, think about 4-6”
    Ice was slippery with large areas being snow free, wish I had brought my cleats,
    wanted crappies but got small sunnies instead-lost one big sumpin’ because my drag was set wrong. Good to get out though.

I was out on the main lake of Big Marine on Tuesday, in many places I found 8-10″, then 10′ away maybe 4″. I’ve never seen the ice so variable. Was out on Coon today and the ice was generally thicker, but still pretty variable.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

If anyone is out today or tomorrow let me know what the ice is like. Might hit Green on Friday.

Any bite to report out there?

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Well, I did pretty well. Wasn’t on green but a lake close to it. Nice panfish bite and a 4# large mouth to go with it.

Kinda hope it stays warm so trucks can’t get out. Being limited to walking or atv/snowmobile seems to really limit the crowds.

Attachments:
    1. BA8E4652-BBF5-41FF-8E28-BB0AF3E0FFF9.jpeg

tim hurley
    Participant

Nice catch, I agree with you, better w/o the trucks (even though one of my favorite crappie spots is about 1.5 miles from the access so I have to wait)

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

I’ve was 8-10”. A cold snap and it’ll be good to go. Not really any slush. There was a guy with a old ford ranger out there. That seemed aggressive to me.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.