snow and ice tires for my 4 wheeler

• Allen R Kugler
    Participant

i just picked up a kawi praire i plan to mainly use for getting out on early ice. i realize i need chains but im wondering if anyone else has a good idea for tires. i may do a little mudding or trailing. hopfully drag a deer or two out.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Itp mud lite ii. They are a decent all around tire

For ice, I run chains. If not chains then old tires I’ll line the insides with carpet and then stud with sheet metal screws. There isn’t a tire that’s really great at multiple applications like that. My mud tires are crap on ice and hard pack, and my hard pack tires are crap in mud. But the mud lites will be good in swamp, woods, ditches, dirt roads. They will wear fast on pavement. And be OK enough for ice.
    I also keep a second set of rims and tires just for chains. The chains might take 5 minutes to put on.

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

Dont drive on your lawn with them mud lites. They can chew up some serious grass.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Dont drive on your lawn with them mud lites. They can chew up some serious grass.

Don’t worry about the lawn it’s meant for riding

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

I really dont cause i keep it at my parents farm they get to worry.

bigstorm
    Participant
    Southern WI

I have ITP Mud Lite XL’s, not sure if that is a current model or not, I have had them about 8 years. They work good in snow and mud. I dont run chains on them for ice fishing and really havent had a problem

AK Guy
    Participant

I use to use chains, but decided to put studs on my tires a couple of years ago. I’m very happy with the results. Btw, I only use my ATV on the ice.

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

I just sold my last Prairie! Great machines but can be a bear to start when super cold, even with a proper valve adjustment.

Mud lite tires are excellent snow tires but wear out really quick, like Bearcat said. Kenda Bearclaws are like rocks but cut mud and snow excellent and chains hook to the lugs well. IMO, the best small ATV tire on the market.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

i just picked up a kawi praire i plan to mainly use for getting out on early ice. i realize i need chains but im wondering if anyone else has a good idea for tires. i may do a little mudding or trailing. hopfully drag a deer or two out.

This new guy, while he needs some grammar help. jester Is a good friend of mine for years.
    Shout out to Bearcat for answering my questions about this new to him wheeler, that I may or may not use sometimes. whistling

Coletrain27
    Participant

for what you describe pretty much any tire will work. dont over think it and spend $800 on tires if it does not need them. any stock tire will get the job done unless they are bald

gizmoguy
    Participant
    Crystal,MN

Every winter I do screw-in ice racing studs. They are just like a hex head sheet metal screw but they are hardened. When your studded the tire tread doesn’t matter that much.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Every winter I do screw-in ice racing studs. They are just like a hex head sheet metal screw but they are hardened. When your studded the tire tread doesn’t matter that much.

Would you consider studding tires that are getting kinda weather cracked? Reason I ask is the tread is good on the tires, there just old. If used for only ice fishing?

gizmoguy
    Participant
    Crystal,MN

Probably OK. They screw in the thickest part of the tread. You can get different lengths. Kold Kutter is the brand I get. You can get them from Amazon. The more you put in the less each one individually is stressed.

John Timm
    Participant

Another vote for Kenda bear claws. Longer lasting then mud lights IMO.

Cam White
    Participant

Bighorns. Great all around tire.

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

Bighorns. Great all around tire.

I’ve blown out every set I’ve owned, which is 3. Super soft 2 ply tires. But excellent traction on all surfaces.

keppenhiemer
    Participant
    (507) MN

the original bighorns are a fantastic tire! they are heavy thick and durable

the bighorn 2.0 tires are the garbage tires! huge difference spend the money on the original bighorns and avoid the 2.0

chuck100
    Participant
    Platteville,Wi.

Bearclaws get my vote.

keppenhiemer
    Participant
    (507) MN

6-ply-rated radial construction on the original

the 2.0 are built to be light for racing but they are what dealers put on new atvs because they wear out quickly and they make money on replacement tires!!!

we have 4 atvs with original bighorns from 2002-2015 all are in good shape still wearing strong and no issues best all around atv tire

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Bearclaws look nice

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

the original bighorns are a fantastic tire! they are heavy thick and durable

the bighorn 2.0 tires are the garbage tires!

I’ve blown out both the old ones (2014) and 2 sets of 2.0’s (2016,2020) devil

I’ll give it to ya though, the original bighorns were much better. They’re also much, much heavier! SunF has a pattern similar thats supposed to be decent.

Gitchi Gummi
    Participant

these might be what Merican Eagle is referring to. I had these on my wheeler for a couple winters before I sold it and then put the same tires (different size) on my ranger and I have 2 winters on them. They are great tires and I think they are in a sweet spot as far as cost and bang for your buck.

B-man
    Participant

Chains (V-Bar) make an incredible difference for ice fishing.

If you break through a crust they just chew their way out of it. With rubber alone you’re not going anywhere without backing up and ramming ahead repeatedly.

They also keep your machine under control on glare ice, having them on the front too helps even more.

Take a bungee and weave it through the chains on the hub side to keep them nice and tight waytogo

If it came down to it, I’d take chained up racing slicks over the most aggressive mud tire in the world (if unchained)

If you are tire shopping, look into the XTR Mud Lite Radials instead of the XL’s. They’re so much nicer for trail riding (smooth ride) and wear a lot better than the cheaper versions. On my last wheeler I had 7,500 miles on a set of XTR’s with at least 2,000 left before I sold it.

When my current little Rancher is due for tires that’s what she’s getting.

They have a flatter foot print compared to the XL’s, which ride more just on the lugs in the center of the tire (which wear down faster and feel like your constantly running over 2″ rocks that aren’t there).

Make sure to check your machine’s alignment as well. It doesn’t take much to get the front end out of whack (like glancing off a stump or hitting a frozen bank).

It’s super easy to do and adjust yourself at home. Lots of info online if needed. Just like a truck, a front end out of alignment takes thousands of miles off your tires in a hurry.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

I don’t own an ATV but I can vouch for the Bear Claws. My buddy has them on his and we took it up on Red with 2-3 ft snow drifts and probably 6-12 inches of snow everywhere and we never got stuck. I was really impressed. That was with two of us on the ATV also.

Jason
    Participant

I run 28″ Bearclaws myself. I have plowed lots of snow and played in plenty of deep mud with them and have been happy.

Henpecked
    Participant

Another vote for Bear Claws. I’ve gone through snow deep enough to drag the frame with them on my 300 Honda.

gizmoguy
    Participant
    Crystal,MN

I have the Kenda Bear Claws. That’s what I replaced the OEM tires with. Great tires. I have and would recommend the radial version. Being a radial it allows more tire tread to be in contact with the ground as the side walls flex more than a bias tire. Nice riding tire even with the aggressive tread.

Hodag Hunter
    Participant
    Northern Wisconsin

ITP Mudlites on mine. Fair price & MADE IN USA too.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.