Smoking a Turkey for Thanksgiving

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Nice work boys!!

I nailed mine too! Everyone said it was amazing, and it was. One of the better turkeys I’ve ever had. It was so easy I’ll probably use the pellet grill every time going forward.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I’m late to the party, smoked my turkey 4th year in a row. It’s not magic, but here’s the “secret” to the best turkey your guests have ever eaten:

1) anything from 15-25 lbs, really doesn’t matter we’re doing the same thing no matter the size

2) Brine: 3 oranges, 3 lemons, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, fresh sage. 2 cups brown sugar. 1.5 cups salt. Windsor Canadian- as much as you want but at least a cup. Then water to cover the turkey. Make sure it’s all mixed up well before putting that bird in.

3) leave in brine overnight, I leave mine outside because I am one with nature.

4) drink more windsor. call the bird the duke of windsor. call yoursefl the duke of birds of windsor. does it matter?

5) take out the bird, stuff it with the lemons and oranges, and all the herbs that were in the brine.

6) smoker at 275, I use pecan wood, But I’m POSITIVE it doesn’t matter at all what you use. Don’t let fakers tell you otherwise.

7) Bird on, 2.5 hrs

8) move the bird to the oven which is at 350 F. Leave it there for 20-30 minutes or until your wife needs to put in the beans. Drink another windsor diet, or 3.

9) carve turkey

10) watch your guests forget about every dry ass turkey they’ve ever eaten for the past lifetime and then wait for them to ask you “how you did it”

11) drink 9 more windsor diets

12) football and sleep

you’re welcome. it’s smoking, not rocket surgery

KPE
    River Falls, WI

And the number of people who don’t brine is alarming. Do your guests enjoy dry meat, or do they just lie to you????

Just brine it and brine it well, then you can really cook it however you want and it’ll spit juice across the damn room

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Nice work boys!!

I nailed mine too! Everyone said it was amazing, and it was. One of the better turkeys I’ve ever had. It was so easy I’ll probably use the pellet grill every time going forward.

Lindy how long did yours end up taking? I’m going to try something similar tomorrow

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Lindy how long did yours end up taking? I’m going to try something similar tomorrow

It was pretty much right at 4 hours. 325 degrees and 20 lb bird. The skin was nice a crisp, meat still very moist.

huntinforfish

I have been responsible for the turkey since my first pellet grill one 6-7 years ago. Brine 24 hours. Brine: 2 gallons of water, 2 cups salt, 1 cup sugar, fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage) few garlic cloves crushed, allspice, black pepper. You can add or subtract what you want as long as you have a salt/sugar base you should be fine. Rinse completely and dry. Add herb based rub and then 325 on pellet grill for approximately 12 mins per pound. 11.5 pound bird cooked in just over 2 hours this year. Haven’t tried the spatchcock method yet, but I am curious if the result would be the same.

Attachments:
    1. Turkey-2.jpg

2. Turkey.jpg

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.