Smoking a pheasant?

• Mocha
    Park Rapids

Planning a Smoker party with fin & feather. Have the recipe for the fin but need one for the feather? Any help would be appreciated! These are pheasant breasts with out the skin.

THX

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I didn’t know they made a pheasant size zigzag. rotflol

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

I would say brine it like a chicken. Just remember if you don’t use cure in your brine, the internal has to get over 140 degrees in less than 4 hours. That really shouldn’t be a problem though.

I just noticed they were pheasant breasts. I think you will want to brine them to keep them moist.

robby
    Quad Cities

Id brine them for a day. After that rinse them well and pat dry. Next work a rub into them and wrap entirely in bacon. Cover in saran wrap and refridgerate for another 12 hours. Then remove from fridge and remove saran wrap and make many small injections with molten butter into the pheasant flesh. Next place in prewarmed smoker around 200 degrees. I like to use pecan chips when I smoke fowl. Continue to smoke until internal temp of pheasant breast reaches 160 degrees. Do NOT overcook. Might not take as long as you think. This next step is important! Remove from smoker and promptly loosely but completely cover and seal in tin foil for at least 45 mins. During this time the meat continues to cook and as it begins to cool a bit the meat draws the juices back inside. Then carve or pull and enjoy. Hope this helps.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

You could slice thin and use a jerky seasoning of your choice and have some pheasant jerky. You could also grind it up and make some kind of beer stick or sausage. We have done this with goose and salmon with very good results.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I would look into cold smoking it, and cooking it sous vide. Should get you smoke flavor and tenderness from more traditional smokes.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

My brother smoked it and then made a pate out of it for Christmas Hors d’oeuvres, OMG, it was sooooooooo good!!!

Mark

zooks

I would look into cold smoking it, and cooking it sous vide. Should get you smoke flavor and tenderness from more traditional smokes.

This would probably be your best bet considering you only have skinned breasts. Hot and fast otherwise, 300 degrees for 30-45 minutes would be max for me if not cold smoking. Good luck with what you try.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

This would probably be your best bet considering you only have skinned breasts. Hot and fast otherwise, 300 degrees for 30-45 minutes would be max for me if not cold smoking. Good luck with what you try.

Kind of threw me off too but the OP (Mocha) was doing this last November. He could have at least posted back to let us know what he ended up doing! coffee

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

I brine overnight, rince, pat dry, then set on grates to dry. Then smoke to 140 with a glaze of brown sugar and catsup. Cool and slice thin. Why do I crave a beer right now?

zooks

HA, I’m usually good about not tacking on to zombie posts but this one got me.

Mocha, how did it turn out? Inquiring minds and all…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.