Smoked Tulibee Cracker Spread

• Aaron Kalberer
    Participant

Caught a 42 tulibee last weekend and smoked with hickory. Figured I would play with some ideas on what to do with them and this turned out very good!

If anyone knows of a way to preserve it so one could make a large batch an store it that would be great!

1 lb smoked tulibee
    1 tbs dill
    1/2 white onion chopped
    1 clove minced garlic
    1 tbs lemon juice
    1/2 Cup mayo
    8 oz crème cheese (softened)

Mix it all together and put on a cracker. Seasonings can be added as well.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

I posted a similar recipe recently (without dill), and it is very good! Not sure if you could make it and freeze it? I have vacuum sealed smoked tullibee before and froze it, and it was still good a few months later so that’d be an option.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I have vacuum sealed smoked tullibee before and froze it, and it was still good a few months later so that’d be an option.

That’s the only way to freeze any smoked fish.

Aaron Kalberer
    Participant

Great recipe! I must have missed your post but is well worth doing. Yeah the ones that didn’t go into the dip were vac sealed and froze for later use. I have heard cream cheese gets gritty when frozen and I don’t know if it can be pressured cooked to be sealed in a jar.

SuperDave1959
    Participant
    Harrisville, UT

I can a lot of fish and anytime a party happens it’s a quick appetizer to make the dip. I smoke my fish before canning it.

zooks
    Participant

I have heard cream cheese gets gritty when frozen and I don’t know if it can be pressured cooked to be sealed in a jar.

Not a good idea – soft cheeses are low acid/high pH foods that are susceptible to botulism growth over time which why those foods need to be consumed fresh. Low acid/high pH is also the reason why adding citric acid to canned tomatoes is recommended, just to make sure the preserved contents are acidic enough to inhibit botulism growth.

chamberschamps
    Participant
    Mazomanie, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Aaron Kalberer wrote:</div>
    I have heard cream cheese gets gritty when frozen and I don’t know if it can be pressured cooked to be sealed in a jar.

Not a good idea – soft cheeses are low pH foods that are susceptible to botulism growth over time which why those foods need to be consumed fresh. Low pH is also the reason why adding citric acid to canned tomatoes is recommended, just to make sure the preserved contents are acidic enough to inhibit botulism growth.

For the sake of accuracy… low pH = acidic and high pH = basic. The middle of the scale (near 7) is neutral.

zooks
    Participant

For the sake of accuracy… low pH = acidic and high pH = basic. The middle of the scale (near 7) is neutral.

Yeah, I flipped that around the first time. Fixed it above, thanks.

Aaron Kalberer
    Participant

Good info guys, I will follow what SuperDave said and just pull vac sealed fish out as I plan on making it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.