Smoked Pulled Pork Chili

• SuperDave1959
    Participant
    Harrisville, UT

A little snap in the air and time for a bowl of chili and cornbread.

diesel
    Participant
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Oh my…what time is dinner?

Looks great!!

D

Iowaboy1
    Participant

as bad as tomato sauce tears me up,that looks like it would be worth the suffering !!
    hhmmmm,,I wonder if I could do an Alfredo chili with smoked beef,lamb,and smoked pork??

looks great Dave !

SuperDave1959
    Participant
    Harrisville, UT

Shel, you ever have the white chili? Chicken, white beans and green chilies.

fishdale
    Participant

Looks great. I do a lot of Chile Verde. Most of the time I do it with un smoked pork but I have done it with smoked pulled pork (grad party left overs) and it is even better.

Iowaboy1
    Participant

Shel, you ever have the white chili? Chicken, white beans and green chilies.

yes I have,without the green chilies,very good !
    cant do tomato,spices or chilies anymore,sometimes even green peppers are too much.
    I will say I got along okay with Dennys smoked pepperjack cheese in the smoked sausage he brought to LOTW last week,dont know if the smoking tamed it down or what.

SuperDave1959
    Participant
    Harrisville, UT

Tip:
    Put your favorite chili recipe in the smoker after you have assembled it. I recommend at least 1 1/2 – 2 hours in the smoker. It will raise what you thought was great chili to a whole other level.

rwilliam
    Participant
    St.Paul, Mn

SuperDave, that looks awesome.
    You and I are of the same mind, as I also made a big pot of chili yesterday. Cold weather and chili go together.

1hl&sinker
    Participant
    On the St.Croix

That pulled pork chili lookes great, l’m gonna have to try that. I’ve got a freind that makes a great smoked venison and chedder sausage links that go great in my chilli, man they introduce a great smokey flavor and complimentary texture. Ive added smoked chicken thighs that worked well but not as good as the sausage.

Iowaboy that afredo chilli sounds intriguing, going to have to tackel that idea. Smoked chicken I’m thinking. Chicken seems to absorb more smoke than beef or pork especially the thigh meat, maybe beacause its more fiberous or smaller portions when smoked.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Tip:
    Put your favorite chili recipe in the smoker after you have assembled it. I recommend at least 1 1/2 – 2 hours in the smoker. It will raise what you thought was great chili to a whole other level.

at what temp?

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

Any Cumin? I just can’t eat chili if it doesn’t have a handful of Cumin in it.

SuperDave1959
    Participant
    Harrisville, UT

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>SuperDave1959 wrote:</div>
    Tip:

at what temp?

Whatever temp you can make smoke at in your individual smoker. I usually keep it in the 175 – 200 range. I’m trying to infuse smoke flavor without cooking the chili to mush. Think of it as simmering the chili on the stove to get the flavors to marry.

SuperDave1959
    Participant
    Harrisville, UT

Any Cumin? I just can’t eat chili if it doesn’t have a handful of Cumin in it.

You bet. The real secret here is the smoke. Make your favorite chili recipe and give it some smoke.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

That sounds great. I guess you could smoke simmer just about anything that you could simmer on the stove. You just opened up a whole new door of ideas for me.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Cant wait to try. Thanks.

ps-what kind of wood did you use? Im guessing anything including hickory could be used for this?

Kyhl
    Participant
    Savage

Whatever temp you can make smoke at in your individual smoker. I usually keep it in the 175 – 200 range. I’m trying to infuse smoke flavor without cooking the chili to mush. Think of it as simmering the chili on the stove to get the flavors to marry.

I do a smoked chuck roast chili by smoking a 5lb chuck roast to rare then cube it before tossing it into the pot where it finishes with the rest of the ingredients. Comes out tender that way.

chomps
    Participant
    Sioux City IA

What Kyle said plus throw a bunch of poblano peppers on the smoker too. Blister the skin up on the coals and peel the skins, dice up into your pot. I use leftovers for hand cut twice fried French fries & chili cheese fries.

mnrabbit
    Participant
    South Central Minnesota

That sounds great. I guess you could smoke simmer just about anything that you could simmer on the stove. You just opened up a whole new door of ideas for me.

We’ve done a lot of canning this fall… opening up some ideas in my head to smoked salsa or smoked spaghetti sauce.

SuperDave1959
    Participant
    Harrisville, UT

Rabbit, I also do a fair amount of canning. Smoke flavor seems to intensify in the canning process. It adds great flavor but start light on the smoke initially and see if it needs more after you do a couple of batches. More so in pressure canning. I haven’t done a lot of smoke in hot bath.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.