Smoke & Mirrors 2022 edition

• Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

If I’ve heard right on the radio this game might have the lowest pre-game over/under of any college football game in history.

Rosen explained it well on KFAN that Iowa this week and then Wisconsin are bigger than any bowl game the Gophers will have this year. They could end up in a Music City or Car Care Bowl against some Power 5 conference’s #5 school, so when you factor in the rivalry and the fact that there’s still potentially something on the line that’s a very accurate thought to have.

ssaamm
    Participant
    Pequot Lakes

My family and I are going today. Need to bundle up. Gophers 17-12 win.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

This is not looking very promising thus far. Its 10-0 Iowa after 1 and the Hawkeyes do not give up very many points.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

What’s with MN Kickers?

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

What’s with MN Kickers?

On 4th & 1 if you play for the lead instead of a tie you take the kicker out of the equation. Saddle up the Mo horse and ride him to a first down.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Got that right dutchy… Sheez. doah

AK Guy
    Participant

Gotta like how Mo responded after fumbling.

AK Guy
    Participant

Gotta like how Mo responded after fumbling.

Sorry, I jinxed the team…

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Thats that. Pretty good game. applause

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

There’s always next year whistling

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

They completely dominated Iowa on the offensive side of the ball except for 3 massive blunders: a missed 34 yd FG, a fumble inside the 10, and an interception in the red zone. Floyd will remain in Iowa City for another year and the Gopher’s chances of winning the Big Ten west is now officially done.

Iowa can win the Big Ten west for the second straight season if they can beat Nebraska next week.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

They completely dominated Iowa on the offensive side of the ball except for 3 massive blunders: a missed 34 yd FG, a fumble inside the 10, and an interception in the red zone. Floyd will remain in Iowa City for another year and the Gopher’s chances of winning the Big Ten west is now officially done.

Iowa can win the Big Ten west for the second straight season if they can beat Nebraska next week.

won’t matter, no way the west team beats whoever they play from the east!

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

won’t matter, no way the west team beats whoever they play from the east!

I agree, you could argue that the top 3 teams from the east are all superior to any team from the west.

That’s beside the point though. Iowa has now won 8 years in a row and 10 of the last 11 meetings. Certainly beating them would be better than not beating them. Its about pride and winning a bronze trophy.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Typical Minnesota play. They need to pass more. They beat the crap out of Mo. Really though they played good the turnovers late killed them.

MX1825
    Participant

Michigan and OS caught several breaks from Zebras today to pull out wins.

ssaamm
    Participant
    Pequot Lakes

I don’t think there was a penalty called the whole game. I was there. Dressed like I was ice fishing. How about a screen or at least something interesting to keep them off balance a bit.

stout93
    Participant
    Becker MN

That QB is terrible. They need to have a better option at QB next year…

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

That QB is terrible. They need to have a better option at QB next year…

i dont know but the TV announcers sure talked him up about being a stud athlete………….

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

A little humble pie might be a good thing for PJ and his team going forward. For all the top recruiting classes they supposedly have, I don’t see a lot of top end talent developing. I really thought they would take a step forward this year, but the opposite is happening and a huge missed opportunity for the program. I agree go with the young QB, and whoever else they think is important to the future. The 6-7 year players have had their chance, and it didn’t happen.

Still true. Turning point yesterday was when the Gophers DB dropped a deflected pick 6, and then we threw the pick that should have been a TD and was the deciding drive for Iowa.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Kaliakmanus is a freshman, he hadn’t started a game since 2019 because of injury and coming here behind Morgan. He was the Gatorade player of the year one year so he’s obviously talented. They really don’t have much for receiving options since autman bell is out. AK will be a fine QB it just takes time and they need to take off the reigns and let him sling it.

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

I don’t think there was a penalty called the whole game.

The Gophers had one late in the 4th quarter.

They need to pass more.

The Gophers ran it for most of the game and then expect the “new” QB to make a pass with the game on the line. He had no passing rhythm since he only had 12 attempts the whole game. Blame this one one on the offense play calls. Mix in a play action pass every so often. Geez. You have a gigantic tight end. You should be able to get 5-6 yards at any time throwing to him.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

You have a gigantic tight end. You should be able to get 5-6 yards at any time throwing to him.

Spann Ford has been a disappointment since HS, he went to St. Cloud Tech and everyone was drooling over this 6’8″ athlete. Not sure if it’s motivation or just lack of athletic ability, but he plays 6’1″ and has never really done what you’d think a guy with his size and decent speed should do.

MX1825
    Participant

Kaliakmanus is a freshman, he hadn’t started a game since 2019 because of injury and coming here behind Morgan. He was the Gatorade player of the year one year so he’s obviously talented.

Mertz is a junior and still sucks 85% of the time. He was an All American and recruited and offered by all the big schools (Bama, ND, Georgia, etc.) Doesn’t mean the player will be a great player.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Netguy wrote:</div>
    You have a gigantic tight end. You should be able to get 5-6 yards at any time throwing to him.

Spann Ford has been a disappointment since HS, he went to St. Cloud Tech and everyone was drooling over this 6’8″ athlete. Not sure if it’s motivation or just lack of athletic ability, but he plays 6’1″ and has never really done what you’d think a guy with his size and decent speed should do.

personally……..i dont think they throw to him much…..or anyone else for that matter!!!!!!! doah wadda they gonna do next year???????

rvvrrat
    Participant
    The Sand Prairie

Another PJ “play not to lose” game. Gophs haven’t beat one team with a winning record this year..geesh.

The_Bladepuller
    Participant
    South end

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Netguy wrote:</div>

Bull. He is most importantly a good human being. My granddaughter graduated with him. My grandson was a Soph on th BB when Brevyn was a Sr.
    BSF was a WR & on D mostly DE in HS. Scout team player of the year as a true frosh. The week before the Iowa game that year I heard PJ raving about the job Brev had done in practice. To change positions in college is an “experiance”. I know going from a scout squad FB my 1st to OL the next 3. He has become a tenacious blocker. Ko Kieft is now in Tampa and Brevyn is really doing a nice job. His athleticism allows him to maintain contact and keep his feet moving. I watch blocking as an old OL man that did coach a bit at a D2 level. I watched the bowl game vs Auburn & 88 was destroying their outside leverage. Speed has never been an asset. Likely why he didn’t do the Sr Day thing. You can help speed but you can’t condition for height. There are 3 real good TE coming out this year for the NFL to pick from and that may have also influenced him.
    PJ needed to go for it on 4th down on the 1st drive. Play down hill and force Iowa to play catch up.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

The natives seem to be getting restless.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Bull. He is most importantly a good human being.

I’m sure he is. We were talking about him as a receiving threat, and he’s just not one despite everyone saying since he arrived he was going to have a breakout season. His first 3 years were a total of 5 catches. Last year he had 23, and this year he has 33 in 11 games. Maybe he will make it in the league as a blocking TE, but as a receiver he has never done much. Maybe he will in his 6th year, but as of yet he hasn’t. A lot of maybe’s for a 5th year player. And he played TE/WR in HS, so it’s not like he changed sides of the ball. Being from Sartell originally I’ve been paying attention to his career since he was about a Sophomore in HS, and he’s had a nice career but nowhere near what was expected out of someone his size and speed.

orve4
    Participant

Saying someone is not as productive as you thought they would be is now shot at their personality or them as a person. But with Iowa they target there stud TE and find out how to get them the ball any way possible. Maybe its not just the offense target and not utilizing him. As someone who is as big and athletic and as good as run game as we have you would think he would be target 7/8 times a game at least.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Bladepuller I hope you or someone showed BSF this thread because he is playing great tonight! Happily will eat my words if he keeps it up. RTB!

Viewing 30 posts - 241 through 270 (of 318 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.