Smoke & Mirrors 2022 edition

• Ron F
    Rochester MN

The chances of having a quality non-conference opponent on the schedule greatly decreased when the Big 10 went from eight to nine conference games a few years ago.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The chances of having a quality non-conference opponent on the schedule greatly decreased when the Big 10 went from eight to nine conference games a few years ago.

True. However, Iowa plays Iowa State every year and Wisconsin usually has at least one quality non-conference opponent. Last year they played Notre Dame. The Gophers purposefully schedule three creme filled cupcakes so they can bank on 3 wins, which is halfway to bowl eligibility. I honestly don’t even remember the last time they played a quality opponent in non-conference.

I just looked, Wisconsin has 3 cupcakes in non-conference too this season, including New Mexico State in game 3.

CaptainMusky

Correct. Its going to only get worse now that more teams are getting added to the BigTen. I wonder if they will have a third division or what? They are getting really watered down. It will stink to potentially not have the main rivals on their schedule each year.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ron F wrote:</div>

Correct. Its going to only get worse now that more teams are getting added to the BigTen. I wonder if they will have a third division or what? They are getting really watered down. It will stink to potentially not have the main rivals on their schedule each year.

Hockey proved they don’t care about either the fans or rivalries. It’s all about the cash.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I think this holds true across most of college football (basketball as well). As a general rule I think the non-conference is more of a “tune up” to conference play. Even Alabama has LA-Monroe & Austin Peay on the schedule this year. Mind you these are home games as well. I don’t think these power five programs want to travel to play a tough opponent. The risk of a loss has end of season implications.

I saw a stat the other day in Saban’s 15 years at Alabama they are undefeated in non-conference road games……at 3-0.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Their overall official record under Saban is 178-25 (. 877) (183–25 on the field), 21 bowl game appearances with 15 victories, nine SEC West titles, eight SEC championships, and six national championships.

The Alabama program should never be in the same discussion as Minnesota. It’s the very best against a Pop Warner. It’s doubtful that anyone on this board will ever see the Gophers win the Big Money and a National Championship is a mathematical longshot.

Be happy they haven’t applied to the MIAC.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Their overall official record under Saban is 178-25 (. 877) (183–25 on the field), 21 bowl game appearances with 15 victories, nine SEC West titles, eight SEC championships, and six national championships.

The Alabama program should never be in the same discussion as Minnesota. It’s the very best against a Pop Warner. It’s doubtful that anyone on this board will ever see the Gophers win the Big Money and a National Championship is a mathematical longshot.

Be happy they haven’t applied to the MIAC.

Just pointing out that Alabama, unquestionably the best program of the last decade plus, doesn’t play anyone in non-conference, and they won’t even play them on the road. There’s like 5 showcase non-conference games every year, and the Gophers aren’t good enough for them yet anyway, so getting upset at their non-conference schedule is silly.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Gameday. Who’s ready to row the boat against the vaunted New Mexico State Aggies led by Jerry “sour grapes” Kill? chased

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ll be tuning in and kinda hope they win by 80. Just glad football is back and hope ND can give Ohio State Penitentiary a ballgame. rotflol

CaptainMusky

Call me a typical MN Sports fan but this matchup has me worried. LOL

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Gameday. Who’s ready to row the boat against the vaunted New Mexico State Aggies led by Jerry “sour grapes” Kill? chased

I’m excited. More for football in general, but excited either way. My son is in his second year of tackle football and so we have been plugged in for the last two weeks.

I’m up at the lake right now, but upgraded my basic cable service so I could get Big 10 network tonight.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

But, the big question is will they shake hands, lol jester

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MX1825 wrote:</div>
    Toughest Big Ten schools to get into:
    1. Northwestern
    2. Michigan
    3. Wisconsin

The easiest schools to get into:
    1. Nebraska
    2. Iowa
    3. Michigan State

MN, WI and Ohio state are all tied with same acceptance rate.

Acceptance rate means very little about how “hard” it is to get into a school, as it still factors in how many may or may not apply as a function of the statistic. Many who may apply to Minnesota, Iowa, etc and get denied wouldn’t apply to a Northwestern, Michigan, and so on. The easiest way to compare a university’s barriers to entry is to look at mean ACT/SAT scores in percentiles.

Based on composite ACT/SAT scores of admitted students, the rankings below paint a pretty accurate picture of just how difficult it is to get into a university (1 = most difficult).

1. Northwestern
    2. Michigan
    3. Wisconsin

6. Minnesota

Easiest = Iowa and Nebraska

Minnesota is in the middle of the pack in relation to other Big 10 schools’ difficulty to get athletes accepted. The entire league is significantly tougher than others like the SEC, ACC, Big 12, and so on which does create issues outside of the conference. However MN isn’t facing some absurd hurdles that nobody else faces.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

But, the big question is will they shake hands, lol

Haha. Pretty sad that this has become the main story line tonight. If I was PJ, I’d run the score up big time. If its 30-3 in the fourth quarter, go for two.

CaptainMusky

Underrated thing that I forgot about is that the offensive coordinator from their best season is back in Kirk Ciarraca (sp?) That should be a big help. That offense that year was great and very balanced and often explosive.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

Jerry Kill looks like crap

CaptainMusky

They shook hands so that ends that storyline. This could be very bad for Jerry Kill. He was vaping a pot pen on video. I’m glad his health seems to be in check but his mouth taints me so much. I liked him a lot when he was here. The fact he said that PJ is about himself and not the players yet he promoted the “jerrysota” rubs me the wrong way big time.

stout93
    Becker MN

Is it just me or do the Gophers have like 20 guys with hyphenated names…

CaptainMusky

This isn’t going well for Jerry
    I wish him well but glad to see that a MN team might actually take care of business.

stout93
    Becker MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishingstar wrote:</div>
    Jerry Kill looks like crap

He looks like a 75 year old version of Tanner Morgan.:???:

Looks like his blood pressure is at least down. When he was here there were times when I thought his head was going to pop…

Ripjiggen

Tanner looks like my neighbor who’s oldest is 12 and youngest is 2. JK looks like he has come back from the dead more than once. Health wise guy has had a rough life. Tanner actually looks like PJ.
    Looks like they shook hands and had a nice conversation after the game. I don’t think a grudge between the two would benefit either person at this point.

Ripjiggen

Acceptance rate means very little about how “hard” it is to get into a school, as it still factors in how many may or may not apply as a function of the statistic. Many who may apply to Minnesota, Iowa, etc and get denied wouldn’t apply to a Northwestern, Michigan, and so on. The easiest way to compare a university’s barriers to entry is to look at mean ACT/SAT scores in percentiles.

Based on composite ACT/SAT scores of admitted students, the rankings below paint a pretty accurate picture of just how difficult it is to get into a university (1 = most difficult).

1. Northwestern
    2. Michigan
    3. Wisconsin

6. Minnesota

Easiest = Iowa and Nebraska

Minnesota is in the middle of the pack in relation to other Big 10 schools’ difficulty to get athletes accepted. The entire league is significantly tougher than others like the SEC, ACC, Big 12, and so on which does create issues outside of the conference. However MN isn’t facing some absurd hurdles that nobody else faces.

Who cares? As if this actually matters for football players outside of NW. Not directed at you Bucky just what was easiest to cut and paste.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

I personally don’t think they are to the Iowa or Wisconsin level yet.

They did bear the badges 2 out of the last 4.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I’d be curious to see what the Fleck haters on here and the rest of the public think about the handshake heard ’round the world. I’ve seen people online say PJ established dominance and displayed a lot of power moves, and they’re absolutely right. Everyone was focussed on a handshake after the game and ol’ PJ gets after it in warmups. Then Kill tries to do a quick one and walk away and PJ literally won’t let go. Then Kill’s body language shows he wants to get out of there and PJ puts his arm around him and you can tell he’s dominating the conversation.

PJ has taken the high road the whole time. Then he made the in-person interaction go the way HE wanted it to go. Then his team crushed Kill’s team.

Talk is cheap.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Looks like they covered the 35 point spread. Figured it wouldn’t be even remotely close. New Mexico State is on the same caliber level as Eden Prairie HS.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I will take more of this smoke and mirrors toast smash cool

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

PJ has taken the high road the whole time. Then he made the in-person interaction go the way HE wanted it to go. Then his team crushed Kill’s team.

Talk is cheap.

Exactly. I think he handled the situation very well. As far as the win goes it was just a win we were supposed to have and at least we looked like we should have.

CaptainMusky

Who cares? As if this actually matters for football players outside of NW. Not directed at you Bucky just what was easiest to cut and paste.

As a student athlete they should care where they get their education from since the vast majority aren’t going to the NFL. A lot of fortune 500 companies in MN too and many stick around to work here.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 318 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.