Smoke & Mirrors 2022 edition

• gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Wisconsin had 1st & goal from the 5 down 7 points and they committed 5 penalties with under a minute remaining. Talk about self destruct.

First time the Gophers have beaten the Badgers in back to back seasons since 1993 and 1994.

Looks like Purdue won the west and will face Michigan next Saturday for the Big Ten Championship.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Back to back with the Axe! First time since 93-94. RTB, ski-u-mah!!!!

The_Bladepuller
    Participant
    South end

Bladepuller I hope you or someone showed BSF this thread because he is playing great tonight! Happily will eat my words if he keeps it up. RTB!

BSF had another nice game. Lined up in the slot, out wide, as a wing, & as a traditional TE.
    It looked like the O staff realized he acted as a lead and / or trap blocker all year andused him as a misdirection or influence blocker by moving him one wsy and then ran where he had been & hoped the WI D flowed away. It really didn’t work. He had a good game blocking. WI #19 was out the 1st half for a target last week. 19 had wide side responsibilty & BSF didn’t hook him but #19 got 0 pressure when BSF was in max protection schemes on passing.
    I think 88 had 8 catches on 9 targets for right around 90yds.
    PJ is growing on me. His schtick may be a gimmick to some but he seems to have his kids buying in.
    If they win their bowl game that will be back to back 9 win seasons.
    RTB, Ski U Mah! Go Gophers!

CaptainMusky
    Participant

AK #8 played very well and the future is bright with him under center. I like tanner but he needs to be done this kid gives us a better chance to win more dynamic.

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

AK #8 played very well and the future is bright with him under center. I like tanner but he needs to be done this kid gives us a better chance to win more dynamic.

The kid’s got about 4 college games under his belt and the announcers were talking about how he could be the first Gopher QB drafted in forever!

For me 2022 was over with their back-to-back losses to Illinois and Purdue. That was a bad time to have the Gophers trending down and deer hunting trending up. I still followed them a lot but their shot at the West title was realistically over after that.

So having said that, the last 3-4 games have been fairly productive for the team. Thinking about AK, he starts next year with 4-ish games under his belt against Big10 competition rather than starting fresh next year. That’s huge.

With Autman-Bell out, a few WR’s have shown improvement the past few games as well.

I know the bar is low but beating Wisconsin on the road is pretty big for this team.

ssaamm
    Participant
    Pequot Lakes

Good win. Fleck is still scared to score points vs run the clock. We should’ve put them away mid 3rd quarter. It’s ok to win by 20 isn’t it?

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

The Gophers will play Syracuse in the Pinstripe Bowl on Dec 29 at 1pm from Yankee Stadium in New York.

Syracuse went 7-5 overall and 4-4 in the ACC this season.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Good thing is there will be tons of cheap to free tickets for the Gopher faithful.

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

Well the Pinstripe Bowl is sponsored by Bad Boy Mowers. That’s reason enough to go right there!!

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Is this the most irrelevant Bowl Game?

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Lol no there’s about 20 more of them. Here’s a few more that you might enjoy. There’s 43 bowl games total.

Some of my favorites are:
    Cheez-it Bowl – free crackers to the winner
    Quick Lane Bowl – free oil change
    Chik Fil-A Bowl – free sandwich
    Mineral Water Bowl – free bottled water
    Famous Idaho Potato Bowl – free taters!

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

It could be worse. We could be playing in the Lysol Toilet Bowl.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Now the Mayo Bowl would be fun! LOL imagine PJ getting a Mayo bath after the big win!

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Well Dutchy you will have a few more years of Smoke and Mirrors, Fleck got another extension. 7 year contract goes thru 2029 at $6M per year.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

A raise for getting to the Pinstripe Bowl, ridiculous.

I remember a few years ago they gave him a multi-million dollar year extension 2 days after they lost 38-0 to Northwestern.

mnfisherman18
    Participant

Cost of doing business in modern college football. I don’t think it makes sense either, but it still only only puts PJ around 6th or 7th highest paid coach in the big 10.

I had higher hopes for this season, but still think the program is headed in the right direction under PJ.

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

Cost of doing business in modern college football. I don’t think it makes sense either, but it still only only puts PJ around 6th or 7th highest paid coach in the big 10.
    I had higher hopes for this season, but still think the program is headed in the right direction under PJ.

Very good points on that post mnfisherman. I agree, the timing of this is weird as they fell below expectations this year (the Gophers should’ve been the team getting blown out in the Big 10 Championship game dammit!).

But as you said, it’s the cost of doing business in the Big 10 and college football in general. He is the most winning coach in the program since the 60’s. And the trend in CFB is just to buy coaches out at a significant cost anyway.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Cost of doing business in modern college football.

Bingo.

Fleck is doing very well at the only things that matter to a university in the modern era.

1. His rah-rah personal style and glib quoteablility is media and fundraising PR catnip.

2. His program has been academically sound.

3. He has run a program that so far has been devoid of scandals. Especially sexual misconduct scandals.

Football? Why would the university care about football? From an administrative standpoint there are way bigger things to worry about when it comes to a football program, wins and losses and bowl games don’t even make the top 10 list.

Besides what’s an extra $1 million per year? It’s only MN taxpayer money.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I think U of M will be a big sleeper in future years with the whole NIL (Name Image Likeness) because of all the FOrtune 500 companies here. Fleck has already gotten a few transfers after their last game. We will lose a few, but they got a pretty dang good WR from Wisconsin recently.

ThunderLund78
    Participant

The highest paid public employee in most, if not every state, is an NCAA coach.

Tough pill to swallow but I still watch on Saturday.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

I think U of M will be a big sleeper in future years with the whole NIL (Name Image Likeness) because of all the FOrtune 500 companies here.

Those companies would have to start caring about the U Football program, and if they haven’t by now it’s going to take another level of success for them to start. Could be Michigan State signing Mel Turner to 10 years 95m last year, and they went 5-7 (3-6 in the Big10) this year.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Those companies would have to start caring about the U Football program

I think they do. There are so many former MN athletes that find their way working for these companies when their careers are over. Its funny how so many of these athletes come here never experiencing winter before and then make their lives here afterwards.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

I think U of M will be a big sleeper in future years with the whole NIL (Name Image Likeness) because of all the FOrtune 500 companies here. Fleck has already gotten a few transfers after their last game. We will lose a few, but they got a pretty dang good WR from Wisconsin recently.

…and that player has now announced he’s not entering the portal and is staying with UW

UW announcing they’re hiring the UNC O-Coordinator and O-line coaches. It will be crazy to see UW in a zone blocking scheme with big splits, and air raid concepts if they do indeed go that way. “Times they are a’ changin”

CaptainMusky
    Participant

…and that player has now announced he’s not entering the portal and is staying with UW

Funny. This portal business is pretty comical at times.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

UW announcing they’re hiring the UNC O-Coordinator and O-line coaches. It will be crazy to see UW in a zone blocking scheme with big splits, and air raid concepts if they do indeed go that way. “Times they are a’ changin”

Agreed, it is going to be interesting. Fickell was the best option out there imo, but not sure he’s a great fit at UW for the reasons you stated and Fickell is a defensive guy which has not been Wisconsin’s problem of late…You never really know though, pretty much everyone thought Frost was a great hire for Nebraska.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

Agreed, it is going to be interesting. Fickell was the best option out there imo, but not sure he’s a great fit at UW for the reasons you stated and Fickell is a defensive guy which has not been Wisconsin’s problem of late…You never really know though, pretty much everyone thought Frost was a great hire for Nebraska.

It’s definitely going to be a process. I’d expect some growing pains with the changes, but realistically with the conference changes and everything else within the Big 10, the mediocre teams currently hiding in the Big 10 West (Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue) are in for a rude awakening one way or another. USC and UCLA are coming, Oregon initiated a meeting with the Big 10, Washington is no slouch either. Then throw some combination of Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State into schedules and it will take a good team to make a bowl game. We will really find out what PJ and the new UW coaching staff are made of when the changes happen.

I credit Wisconsin for going outside the current staff and mold knowing these changes are coming. At least this way if they get steamrolled in the new mega conference, it won’t be from lack of systematic efforts to change.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I believe that next year the Big 10 Championship is not going to be the winner from the east vs the winner from the west. It is simply going to be the two best teams, regardless of what division they are from. I have a feeling we will see a lot of Michigan and Ohio State rematches moving forward.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

I believe that next year the Big 10 Championship is not going to be the winner from the east vs the winner from the west. It is simply going to be the two best teams, regardless of what division they are from. I have a feeling we will see a lot of Michigan and Ohio State rematches moving forward.

I think 3 divisions plus the next best record for a Big $$ play-off. They need to accommodate the West coast teams.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

The Gophers are favored by 10 over Syracuse in the Pinstripe Bowl, which is slated for Thursday, December 29 at 1pm from Yankee Stadium in Bronx, NY. It will be televised on ESPN.

PJ Fleck is 3-0 in bowl games since becoming head coach of the Gophers 5 years ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 271 through 300 (of 318 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.