Smaller suv fish house towing

• tindall
    Participant
    Minneapolis MN

Finally seriously looking to get a new car for my wife and although I was leaning minivan the 8 seat suvs are tempting me. I am wondering about the viability of SOME towing of my house with one of these “5000lb” rated cars like a pilot, ascent, or 4runner.

This would only be non-snow camping use and for in state (2hr ish) trips.

I have an aluminum Ridgeline 14ft + 3ft v house that is under 3500lbs fully loaded for camping, but is still a large box.

Should I even factor towing my house into my decisions or just abandon the thought? I plan to keep a half ton myself, just thinking an option might be nice.

Youbetcha
    Participant
    Anoka County

I would factor it in. Would hate to buy something you cant tow your rig comfortably with. No clue if you would consider a mid sized truck but it might be worth checking into.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

I would think the 4 Runner could do it fine. All of them will pull it ok, just be a little hard on them.

tindall
    Participant
    Minneapolis MN

I would factor it in. Would hate to buy something you cant tow your rig comfortably with. No clue if you would consider a mid sized truck but it might be worth checking into.

I have a half ton too – just might be a gap without one if it finally dies too soon, and wondering if I could choose between the two during the summer. Don’t wanna buy 2 cars back to back.

topshotta
    Participant

A 4 runner is a true body on frame rig that can tow that house no problem, kind of an expensive car though and no 8 passenger setup. The highlander, ascent, pilot type vehicles are more affordable but are less than ideal for towing. I like the toyota 3.5 v6s in the rav 4s and highlanders, but from my experience it is much better to tow with a heavier vehicle with more brake, traction, and clearance. I am in the same spot, shopping for something that can tow 1500-2k. the mid-size trucks feel cramped to me, and they really dont beat the full size on mpg enough for me to want one. Im thinking F150 w/2.7 or another v6 highlander.

Youbetcha
    Participant
    Anoka County

A 4 runner is a true body on frame rig that can tow that house no problem, kind of an expensive car though and no 8 passenger setup. The highlander, ascent, pilot type vehicles are more affordable but are less than ideal for towing. I like the toyota 3.5 v6s in the rav 4s and highlanders, but from my experience it is much better to tow with a heavier vehicle with more brake, traction, and clearance. I am in the same spot, shopping for something that can tow 1500-2k. the mid-size trucks feel cramped to me, and they really dont beat the full size on mpg enough for me to want one. Im thinking F150 w/2.7 or another v6 highlander.

Have you checked out a ridgeline? I know it doesn’t fit for everyone but I have a similar weighted boat and will eventually upgrade to one closer to 3k pounds. Ended up going with a ridgeline. I just couldnt justify the full size cost without needing to tow a lot of weight. Totally get it though.

tindall
    Participant
    Minneapolis MN

Tried to clarify my original statement – I plan to always have a half ton also, mostly wondering if I could also tow with an suv in the summer since having 8 seats can be helpful getting to, or at the destination.

For example, I’m often in a situation where we are doing something with another family and 2 of us have to work an extra day and will ride up separate, so I want to move my trailer, myself and 2 kids and neighbor and their 3 kids. Or even 3 adults and 4 kids. Or we want to cram 8 in for a trip to the restaurant.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I would factor in towing to the decision.

One thing to keep in mind is the real % of your use that towing will comprise. Realistically calculate out what % of your miles will be towing and I think that will make you a lot more comfortable with your decision.

I also don’t think there is the need to massively overkill towing capacity. Do you really think the manufacturer hasn’t factored in some buffer and so towing 5050 pounds will kill a 5000 lb rated towing vehicle? Of course not. If they rate it for towing, then you can tow with it to the stated limit. You don’t need 50k of towing rating to tow 5k.

topshotta
    Participant

I like the newer ridgelines a lot, check all the boxes for me, plus I would have the satisfaction of upsetting the truck bros at work. I had my doubts about the 2.7 f150s but I see guys running them pretty hard, I guess time will tell

Youbetcha
    Participant
    Anoka County

plus I would have the satisfaction of upsetting the truck bros at work.

This is too true. For sure one thing I didnt anticipate was all the hate.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

The third row of a 4Runner is not going to fit much more than small kids. I’m assuming the other vehicles you mentioned are similar. 4Runners are awesome–I have always wanted one, but it’s just not big enough for our needs.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

I would factor it in. We are in a similar situation (sans fish house), and it’s nice having my wifes Palisade to load up with people when needed.

bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

If you have kids get a Van, we downsized from a Sienna to a Polit and every time we go on a 2hour or longer trip the kids complain and we have no room for our overnight stuff.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

If you have kids get a Van, we downsized from a Sienna to a Polit and every time we go on a 2hour or longer trip the kids complain and we have no room for our overnight stuff.

I had a sienna for a old work vehicle long long time ago and I loved that thing.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

I was in a similar situation. I dont own a fish house but i tow a small utility trailer and a 3k boat. Bought a Tundra and a minivan. Love that combo. i can tow my ATV with the minivan but i wouldnt tow my boat. If we do end up in the circumstance where i need to both haul people and a boat, the wife and i drive separate. Is it ideal? No but honestly that happens maybe once or twice a year.

IMO a minivan for people and truck for doing truck things is the best setup. I have 3 boys and they all have friends. Wife is down at Wolf Ridge right now with 7 kids. I wisely opted to work rather than take time off -) Minivan is so much more conformable for hauling people and has more cargo space. As already mentioned the 3rd rows in SUV’s like a pilot or highlander are so small they suck

I can tell you my neighbor owns a highlander and tows a 17.5 crestliner just fine. has done that for a number of years. That boat probably weighs close to what your fish house weighs but doesnt have the wind resistance of course

ekruger01
    Participant

My 4 runner pulled towing duty on a 17′ boat, and a 14′ Icecastle multiple times just fine. They are dogs to begin with as far as power, so I never calculated that in. It hasnt towed either though since getting the Tundra. But if I had to sell the truck for whatever reason I would go right back to towing with the 4 runner in a heartbeat.

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

That 4runner is probably your best bet tbh, of the list you provided. Have you considered a used Tahoe? They pull great, last forever, and can seat up to 9 (although that setup is tough to find with 3 bench seats. My wife’s seats 7 in the standard config, wheelbase is shorter than my double cab silverado, easy to park, safe, easy to maintain, etc. Now that the new generation is out and available the 2014-2019 Tahoes are being sold at reasonable prices.

We pulled our 3k boat with my wife’s old 2011 ford edge. Wasn’t the best but it worked just fine, had good brakes, enough power to move the thing. I think that “SUV” was rated at 3500 lbs since it had the tow package and 3.7L NA V6. I actually liked that thing minus the horrendous ford sync dashboard.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

For sure one thing I didnt anticipate was all the hate.

And the players gonna play
    play play play play
    And the haters gonna hate
    hate hate hate hate
    Shake it off. Shake it off.
    Baby shake it off…

Wait. What the hell am I doing?

deertracker
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Carter Johnson wrote:</div>

play play play play
    hate hate hate hate
    Baby shake it off…

You OK buddy? rotflol
    DT

Youbetcha
    Participant
    Anoka County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Carter Johnson wrote:</div>

play play play play
    hate hate hate hate
    Baby shake it off…

I do blast T swift while im in it jester

dirtywater
    Participant

Tried to clarify my original statement – I plan to always have a half ton also, mostly wondering if I could also tow with an suv in the summer since having 8 seats can be helpful getting to, or at the destination.

For example, I’m often in a situation where we are doing something with another family and 2 of us have to work an extra day and will ride up separate, so I want to move my trailer, myself and 2 kids and neighbor and their 3 kids. Or even 3 adults and 4 kids. Or we want to cram 8 in for a trip to the restaurant.

Keep in mind that towing payload means the weight of all cargo including passengers, gear etc. I wouldn’t hesitate to tow that rig with any of those vehicles, but depending on the weight of your 7-8 passengers I might rethink that.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.