Small skid house runner clearance?

• Chumbucket

For those of you that have smaller skid houses, manufactured aluminum or homemade, like 4×8 or similar in the 350 – 500 lb range. What is the ideal clearance from the bottom of runners to the underside of the house, basically the happy medium between plowing snow and being too far off of the ice, because I don’t want to have to sleeve the holes either. What is the normal clearance on a manufactured house of that size. Would 2 inches be too low? I am planning on building one and just want opinions.

Thanks toast

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Would 2 inches be too low? I am planning on building one and just want opinions.

IMHO, 3 1/2 is ideal and easily achieved with dimensional lumber.

Jason

6″ is what we always go on our aluminum houses. Otherwise when the snow is drifted or your dealing with hidden ice holes it has too much chance of hanging up.

Chumbucket

I agree it would be nice to not have to worry about hitting frozen chunks of ice etc. Do you have issues with wind coming through the catch covers in low or no snow conditions? I suppose a guy could use liners then, and pack snow at the ends when there’s enough of it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

6 inches. 3.5 is to low if you ask me. Then keep a skirt inside so you can put it on and bank it easily. 6 inches is enough to make it up and over most bumps and ice heaves and holes. 3.5 you would be bulldozing

mnfisherman18

6″ is what we go with on the houses we have built in the past.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.