Slug Gun Scopes

• dirk-w.
    Minnesota

I’m looking for a scope for a Savage 220. It seems like a lot of guys like the DBC type reticles but to me they just seem to clutter up the field of view, and with the ballistics of the high velocity sabots I’m not sure why I need that type of scope. Aiming dead on out to 150 yds will do it every time. Anyone have any non BDC type scope recommendations? They actually seem harder to find as the BDC types are taking over.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I use the Nikon Pro Staff 2X7. Affordable. Solid. There when I need it.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

I think the Prostaff Shotgun Hunter 2-7 in their Nikoplex (regular) reticle is discontinued and is now only made with the BDC reticle. I’m guessing it’s the same scope as the Prostaff 2-7 with the Nikoplex reticle that you are referring to??

91reddog

Whatever you buy, don’t scrimp. Ive got a marlin 512p bolt slug gun, (12guage). I shoot Winchester Supremes initial and it knocked the guts out of 2 different Nikon scopes, one of them being a dedicated slug scope. A leupold now sits between the rings. I also have a savage220 and I started with a Leupold slug scope . Like you,I don’t care for the cluttered optics but it really don’t make much difference when it only takes one shot. )

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

I use a Bushnell banner 1.5 x 4.5 on my slug gun and it works great, have shot plenty of deer with it near and far and on the run. Gives plenty of field of view. Zeroed at 140yds using winchester xp3 slugs.

bbaune

I’m looking for a scope for the Savage 220 as well. I have the BDC reticle scopes on a couple muzzle loaders and they work fine, but the 220 shoots pretty flat and I’d rather not mess with them on this gun. I’m interested to hear what others suggest as well. The gun I won is the camo version, would be nice to match it up with a decent camo scope.

Lil Guppy
    Lake City, Mn

I have the Savage 212 and I went with a Leopold slug scope also.

steve-o
    Des Moines, IA

I have the Savage 220 with this scope. Love this combination. Like was mentioned earlier it’s a fairly flat shooting slug gun. Where I hunt shots won’t be over 150 yards so put the cross hairs where you want and you’re good to go.

I have the Savage 212 and I went with a Leopold slug scope also.

mr-special
    MPLS

I use a Bushnell banner 1.5 x 4.5 on my slug gun and it works great, have shot plenty of deer with it near and far and on the run. Gives plenty of field of view. Zeroed at 140yds using winchester xp3 slugs.

I have the same scope for 15yrs now. Cant remember how many rounds I’ve put dwn range hundos literally, I’m not very nice to my equipment and it’s still hold true. I’m using Win partition golds 2 3/4. I would recommend good quality rings an locktite

disco bobber

I have a couple of slug guns with the 2×7 Leupold shotgun scope. They have worked well and hung in there for me. I like being able to go to that low of a power if a deer is real close.

I had trouble sighting in one of them. It seemed I was chasing it. I found out that I needed to give the gun a little jolt or shoot it to move the crosshairs after adjusting it. I would bump the recoil pad on the bench after adjusting. Once I have them sighted in, I have not had to adjust them any more.

jake47
    WI

I haven’t used a Vortex shotgun scope yet, but I am incredibly happy with their riflescopes. A lifetime warranty is highly valuable in my opinion!

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

So, if I got the Leupold VX-1 2-7 shotgun scope with these dimensions and the EGW base, should I get low or medium rings? I keep on reading about clearance issues. Any specific “never an issue” ring recommendations?

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot-1.png

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

older thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a good scope for my 212 savage. like to spend $300ish. was looking at a vortex diamondback 3-9×40. most of my shots are 50 yards or less, but want the capability to hit out to 200 yards. Thoughts and thank you.

WishIwasWiser

LOVE my Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5×32 on my 50 cal muzzleloader.

Attachments:
    1. 63064CA8-DE6C-4AFF-BBCF-A1544126D35F-scaled.jpeg

Coletrain27

older thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a good scope for my 212 savage. like to spend $300ish. was looking at a vortex diamondback 3-9×40. most of my shots are 50 yards or less, but want the capability to hit out to 200 yards. Thoughts and thank you.

vortex strike eagle 1×6 is what i use on my deer gun and i really like it

stevenoak

I have a Leopold Vari X III 1×4 shotgun scope. The Nikon Pro Staff on my smoke pole, and Vortex on a couple other guns. Leopold is noticeably the clearest, especially in low light. Nikon is a good scope, although I’ve heard Nikon is giving to pressure by the birdwatchers to back away from the scope market. Vortex makes a good scope for the money. But think they give up a little in low light, and overall clarity. Still a good scope for the price. Just my opinion. Some place like Scheels, should be able to compare for yourself.

Alagnak1

Besides air rifles the only scopes I’ve had on any guns in the last 30 years were Leopold. Due to supply at the time I was putting this together my first non Leo is diamondback 3-9×40 and went on a savage 212 and have used it for 2 years so far and no complaints. I would have no reason not to buy another one if price was a factor between 2 choices.

Buffalo Fishhead

My only suggestion is if you are considering a Vortex scope, do some research and read about other hunter’s experience with this brand of scope. There are numerous accounts of hunters having failures with Vortex brand scopes.

I know they have a very good warranty; but I have read many hunters indicating that is good because you will need to use the warranty at some point.

Buffalo Fishhead

Angler II

My only suggestion is if you are considering a Vortex scope, do some research and read about other hunter’s experience with this brand of scope. There are numerous accounts of hunters having failures with Vortex brand scopes.

I know they have a very good warranty; but I have read many hunters indicating that is good because you will need to use the warranty at some point.

Buffalo Fishhead

I own 3 Vortex scopes and one pair of bino’s. Never had an issue.

First hand experience.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

i got a nikon 3-9 slug hunter with the bdc reticle on my ithaca deer slayer if interested, i don’t use the slug gun much anymore as i can now use a rifle.

Buffalo Fishhead

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Buffalo Fishhead wrote:</div>

Buffalo Fishhead

I own 3 Vortex scopes and one pair of bino’s. Never had an issue.

First hand experience.

It appears some hunters have good experience with them and others not so much. Sounds like you are one of fortunate Vortex owners.

Buffalo Fishhead

Coletrain27

Buffalo Fishhead

I own a couple vortex scopes and never had any issues

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.