Sleeper House

• kylerk
    Willmar, MN

Not trying to start a brand war but have some questions. I am looking looking at houses at least 18′ but no opposed to going up to 24′. My truck will tow 12000 so I should be good on that end. I have considered getting airbags also just to help with the ride. Obviously many like the Yetti and Glacier both seem to be around 1000 pounds lighter than comparable Ice Castles. I have heard in the past Ice Castle would tend to skimp on quality don’t know if that still holds true. My preference would be best quality for the money. Please advise.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I would go with a 4′ v front. I have a 3’V and it seems to buck wind a bit more than a 4’v.

There are pros and cons to them all. Its a matter of what you can live with and can’t live without.

I myself don’t like any cheap wire crimps in my trailer lighting that can fall apart after it is sealed in the wall.

kylerk
    Willmar, MN

Thanks Mark for the reply. Is there certain brands known for using cheaper wiring crimps? If I do pull the trigger this year or next I would really like it to last a long time.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’d be interested in hearing people’s reviews on all the brands you mentioned, along w/ Salem and Firebrand. I’ve only stayed in Ice Castles and Yetti’s, and the Yetti I stayed in was awesome, but had no complaints in the Castle either. Personally I would stick w/ an Aluminum frame.

404 ERROR
    MN

My 6.5’x12′ Yetti is very high quality. I have an 09′ model, where they were still working some kinks out of. I had a couple issues with the front winch placement, generator hookup wiring and rear door. All three of those issues were fixed on the new models and I would not hesitate to own another. Very good house for the money and I am very happy with it.

SoDak Fisher Guy
    Eastern SD

Id take a look at the Team Lodge fish houses manufactured in Brookings, SD. My opinion, quality wise the best build hands down. You can buy factory direct. They come standard with a lot of great futures. They are not a mass produced wheel house like some, so the attention to quality is top notch

http://www.team-lodge.com/

Travis

When I was shopping for fish houses I researched them all and was leaning towards yeti. I ended up buying a firebrand. And absolutely love it!!!!

The trailer wiring was not installed with cheap crimps that would corrode or break once walls were installed. The roof is welded on to the frame and on piece construction sealing it all the way around where others are pieced together. Smooth siding, 4′ V nose does help with towing and resistance versus a 3′ v nose. And the suspension is independent torsion with bushings and the ride towing is very nice and doesn’t beat the hell out of the house towing all over the state.

Positives also include weight. I bought the shell and finished the whole thing myself, the dry weight on the scale was 3800lbs. Considerably less than an ice castle. And my house is a 8×16 with a 4 foot v nose, so 20ft tip to tail.

I have electric Jack’s on mine, you can link them together with Bluetooth now and have a remote to raise and lower house but it is slower than hydraulic, if I was gonna buy another one I would look into hydraulics….that is one of my few negatives on the whole house otherwise, bang for my buck I would buy another firebrand all day long!!!

Hope this helps

walleyerick
    SE S.Dak

I agree with clint_hay, Luv my Team Lodge… may be a bit heavy but more than makes up for it in quality. Great people to work with.

kylerk
    Willmar, MN

Thanks for the input everyone. Greatly appreciated!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.