What ones? One Rod – One Reel to fit all the needs

• DkoyDan

For all you big time muskie guys out there, I’ve started musky fishing but have never gotten really serious in it yet. I was given a Guide series with a abu 6500 as a starter rod from friend. Looking to upgrade, but probably won’t fork up 2-3 rods. Looking for suggestion on one rod and reel, quality and performance. A rod that can hang with the all arounds other than for bucktails, the guide series and abu seems to work good enough at the moment for that. Would be for crankin, jerking, topwater, occasional larger plastics. What would you guys suggest?

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I like the softer 7′ rods for bucktails and plastics. 6500’s cast pretty good, a power handle will reduce fatigue.

For jerkbaits/slashbaits, and larger cranks I like rods 6′ or slightly longer, extra heavy, and extra fast action. I like a tiny bit of tip flex while working the baits, I seem to get more control. The reel is your choice, I like 6500’s, just keep them clean and dont engage the reel in the middle of cast and they wont wear out. I know a couple musky guys who swear by 7000’s even with the lower gear ratio.

DkoyDan

Thats an awesome article Now opinions on the Calcutta vs the 6500/7000, which one has better performance? I know the cost difference, just wondering the difference on the water. I’m leaning towards the calcutta more because of the grip, casting with a 6500/7000 all day would be harsh for me.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I heartily agree with Gary on both replies.
    I have boiled it down to Three rigs;

Avid 6’6″ HF…Garcia C3
    Avid 7′ MHF… Calcutta 400
    Premier 7’6″ HF…St.Croix Avid 300

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

….and if you really want to burn some money on a rod get a Diamond Back from Thorne Bros. or Keith at Proffessional Edge.. Lightest and most bad[censored] muskie rods ever!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.