Skeeter trailer Light out

• sktrwx2200
    Participant

Buddy was backing down my boat Sunday and from the water I noticed the drivers side brake light was out. Since this is only a year and half old would I be correct in assuming the LED bulbs should still be good? If not how do I check the LEDs?

Any advice on maybe what to look for and where. Hopefully a quick fix.. I’m far from an electrician.

Any tips? Thanks

fishdale
    Participant

You sure it is not the wiring from the vehicle? I have had the same issue and it was the vehicle wiring. I have a little tester that I can plug in to test the wires. If the lights work on the tester I know it is not the vehicle. They are less that 10$ and have saved me a lot of time over the years.

nailswi
    Participant
    Waunakee, WI

I would for sure check the tow vehicle,most if not all newer vehicles have a separate fuse for the trailer wiring.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I would check the ground on the tail light. My trailer was having issues with the tail light on one side, and when I took a look the nut that held the ground wire on had loosened up and the wire wasn’t making solid contact. Tightened the nut, problem solved.

smalls
    Participant
    Lake City, MN

Was the truck a GMC? In general I love GM vehicles but we have 3 new ones, 2014s I think, at work and I have a coworker who has a newer one and all of them seem to blow the fuse for the left side trailer light very easily. We think we tracked the cause to a work trailer, but never had the issue with any of our older GMs on the same trailers.

sktrwx2200
    Participant

Its a Ford f 150.

Thanks for the hints guys. Ill dive into it tonight.

sktrwx2200
    Participant

Looks like F42 could be the culprit.

Attachments:
    1. fuse.jpg

Steve Root
    Participant
    South St. Paul, MN

Looks like a likely culprit. And as others have suggested, one of these testers is really handy. You can figure out if the problem is in the truck or in the trailer real fast.

Attachments:
    1. image_16339.jpg

sktrwx2200
    Participant

Well I checked the fuse in question and it looked good.

So I’ll have to check the ground wire and the connections tonight.

carver
    Participant
    West Metro

I have the same issue with mine. It likes to blow the passenger side of the trailer, and only had the break lights go out once.

I keep some of these handy with me and a piece of wood.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-UFP-BOAT-TRAILER-SURGE-BRAKE-LOCK-OUT-KEY-BACK-UP-BUDDY-/120941559235?hash=item1c28adbdc3&vxp=mtr

So just encase the fuse blows this is my backup plan. I use the wood by the tires and then pull the truck forward to release the surge and fit the backup buddies in.

kroger3
    Participant
    blaine mn

My 2004 F150 has 4 different trailering fuses. RT running, RT blink/brake, LFT running, and LFT blink/brake

sktrwx2200
    Participant

My 2004 F150 has 4 different trailering fuses. RT running, RT blink/brake, LFT running, and LFT blink/brake

Kroger, I found the same description in my book for my 06. Does LFT side indicate drivers side I’m assuming?

kroger3
    Participant
    blaine mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>kroger3 wrote:</div>

Kroger, I found the same description in my book for my 06. Does LFT side indicate drivers side I’m assuming?

Sorry for the delay but yes. I pull a lot of various trailers and seem to pop fuses off and on. I now keep a box of fuses and needle nose pliers in my glove box. Also wrote the fuse numbers on the box with a marker to make it quicker to replace a fuse.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.