Silverado Trail Boss Towing

• fishinfreaks
    Participant
    Rogers, MN

Wondering if anyone here has any feedback on the Silverado Trail Boss for towing. I’ve heard from someone that they don’t do as well, but I don’t remember who told me that or what their source was. I like the look of them, but I want to be able to tow my enclosed snowmobile trailer without issues. TIA

Jensen
    Participant

You will have no problem towing that.

patk
    Participant
    Nisswa, MN

Can’t speak specifically to the Trail Boss. I know that often when a model gets “upgraded” for off road the changes in suspension can impact towing. see Jeep Gladiator for example.

That doesn’t mean the vehicle is a good or bad match for your particular trailer. Just that it’s different than a peer in the same model line. better off road vs towing from the different trim packages

jbg1219
    Participant
    NW Iowa

Typical IDO response:

I would spend a little more and get the 3500 dually Denali duramax. The snowmobile and trailer probably weigh 2500 pounds and with your fat cousin Larry in the truck with you a Trailboss will struggle to maintain 75MPH during the last 1/4 mile before you get to the peak on trail ridge road.

Honest response:

If you are not planning on long hauls doing interstate speeds you will be fine. Personally, I have a 2500 with 6.0 and 410 gears, the truck drinks gas, but I mostly drive it while towing and I tow alot on roads that 65-80 MPH is the speed limit. My truck hauls the boat, snowmobile trailer or enclosed decoy trailer comfortably at 75 MPH. Trailer tires are all upgraded to ensure speed rating is high enough. If I had to get down to one vehicle to tow and drive daily a half ton would be in the garage. I have had them in the past and they did the job fine. Just like being able to have the extra snort to maintain the highway speeds that I run, AND the extra braking power to stop. If I never went on those roads I would own a half ton, or if the laws changed back to 65 MPH max on all roads, I would buy a half ton again as well.

In summery, the trail boss will pull a snowmobile trailer with very little effort or strain. I just works it a little bit harder if you are trying to at a higher rate of speed for a prolonged period of time. If you are going 20 miles back and forth to the lake to ice fish, no worries… if you are going to Wyoming, more than once a year, and plan to keep truck for a long time, maybe move up a bit, maybe.

Tom Albrecht
    Participant
    Eau Claire

You will have no issue with it. I tow my 1775 Lund around all the time and I don’t even notice it’s back there. My mileage goes down maybe 3-5 mpg’s. Since I bought mine a year ago I am averaging 16mpg which includes city, highway, towing etc. Absolutely love this truck.

brian_peterson
    Participant
    Eagan, MN

I have one. More than capable. The 10 speed tranny is ridiculous.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Check the towing specs. I don’t know how big your trailer is but I can’t imagine an issue unless it’s one of those gigantic sled trailers. you’ll need a little more drop on your hitch ball due to the higher suspension. Maybe 4″?

CaptainMusky
    Participant

you’ll need a little more drop on your hitch ball due to the higher suspension. Maybe 4″?

This is what I was leaning to as meaning it wouldn’t as well because it has like a 3″ lift. Get the appropriate drop hitch and you shouldnt have any issues at all.

brian_peterson
    Participant
    Eagan, MN

The truck has a 2 inch factory lift.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.