SI transducer mount under step on MX1825

• HMoshier

Has anyone mounted a SI transducer under the step on a MX or WX?

I have four graphs right now. A Garmin 106SV on the bow over a HB Helix 10 SI, and two Helix 9’s on the dash. The Garmin transducer is on the TM and the Helix 10 is networked to one of the Helix 9’s (also an SI) on the dash with a stern mounted SI transducer. The second dash Helix 9 (GPS) is connected to a thru-hull 2D transducer for running and mapping.

I have a new 106SV I want to mount on the dash (replacing the Helix 9 GPS) with a stern mounted transducer networked to the dash unit (best of both SI worlds) but the kicker may be in the way. Thinking about mounting it backwards under the step instead of on the transom.

I’m wondering how an SI transducer will work mounted under the step, or if it is even possible.

Ripjiggen

Not on a skeeter but mounted mine under step of a ranger.

HMoshier

Not on a skeeter but mounted mine under step of a ranger.

Have any issues with imaging due to turbulence? Is the transducer reversed or facing the same way as if transom mounted?

Ripjiggen

Same way no issues. This is where the recommended on a ranger. Not sure about a skeeter but a call to RBC probably may save you some hassle.

carver
    West Metro

I have mine mounted there. I can get chirp to find bottom going wide open. Side imaging is great but you can tell a little one side gets blocked by the motor a bit but not too bad. Let me know if you want any pics. I run garmins if that helps.

HMoshier

Thanks. Appreciate the advice. Looking forward to better weather to get the boat rerigged.

Musky Ed

Here is where mine is mounted on my wx2200, under the step, and will read to about 6 mph. My sons 2060 was not mounted there, and is having issues reading above 3.5 mph. They are going to fix it for him this spring.

Attachments:
    1. 20220916_185437.jpg

HMoshier

Here is where mine is mounted on my wx2200, under the step, and will read to about 6 mph. My sons 2060 was not mounted there, and is having issues reading above 3.5 mph. They are going to fix it for him this spring.

Awesome Thank you. My MX does not have as deep a keel. If mine was like yours, I’d be able to glue a block next to the livewell inlets and mount it there. But after looking at it last weekend I figured I’d need to mount like yours. Appreciate the pic.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Awesome! You’re doing what I wanted to do with my MX1825, but I chickend out not wanting to put so many new holes in my hull… My other plan was to mount a LVS12 transducer on the stern and use for forward scanning while scouting in the drivers chair…

HMoshier

Even though Stern Saver went out of business, I was able to buy a couple of their mounting blocks this week. I already have two on the transom for my Bird Mega transducers that have held up well. When I first looked under the transom, it appeared that it was angled up from the center in both directions. But once I got down on the ground I realized there is a level spot about a foot or so wide. Once the new blocks come in, I’ll glue those on then mount the GT54 under the transom as shown in Musky Ed’s pic.

Last weekend I got out for a few hours. Only trolled but had the TM down with a GT54 on it. It is networked thru a 106SV on the bow to another on the dash. The Mega transducer is hooked to a Helix 9 on the dash. So I got to watch the baitfish drop as the boat passed over them while trolling and comparing both graphs side by side.

FinnyDinDin

Mine are all mounted under the step.

Bring back the MX1825! I am sad they don’t make em anymore. Great boats.

carver
    West Metro

Here is how mine is setup.

Attachments:
    1. FA1DA24A-F432-409E-9959-78F149155E25-scaled.jpeg

2. 92C1476F-8923-4C44-AAED-C42881BC623F-scaled.jpeg

MX1825

Mine are all mounted under the step.

Bring back the MX1825! I am sad they don’t make em anymore. Great boats.

X2. Not sure why many boat companies got rid of the 18 footer.
    TBC sold a TON of MX1825 models.
    Other dealers didn’t. Actually had a dealer tell me it was the worst model Skeeter ever built. This was at the Madison Fishing Expo. Salesman said you can’t give an 1825 away. whistling
    He didn’t know I owned one AND priced one from his dealership. Believe me he wasn’t GIVING one away. He was 6k higher than TBC on the exact same boat when I ordered mine. doah

HMoshier

Thanks for the pics, Carver. Definitely gives me some options.

HMoshier

Finally got the Garmin transducer mounted under the step on my MX. Works very well. Better display than the HB Mega mounted above and to the right of it at higher speeds. Don’t have on plane readings but there is a HB puck mounted in the bilge for that.

Attachments:
    1. 534A39E1-8394-42C3-B505-371B98645DFA-scaled.jpeg

JoeMX1825
    MN

Finally got the Garmin transducer mounted under the step on my MX. Works very well. Better display than the HB Mega mounted above and to the right of it at higher speeds. Don’t have on plane readings but there is a HB puck mounted in the bilge for that.

dang… are you running separate Left & Right Humminbird SI ducers?

HMoshier

dang… are you running separate Left & Right Humminbird SI ducers?

Saw that, huh? Yeah, I was running a separate left/right setup. The boat had a Helix 9 on it when I bought and added my Helix 10 from my previous boat. Ran both transom transducers to the dash unit that was networked to the bow unit. Worked well except for the 2′ gap under the boat. Was missing fish and bait under the boat so I went back to the single. Left the left one on just because of the pain installing it. If I lose the right one, it’s an easy swap under the dash. Also, running both a mega “y” cable and a 2d splitter for one unit caused signal degradation.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.