Shotgun for Goose Hunting?

• buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

I’ve got a nephew and god child who is itching to get into the outdoors more. His dad isn’t an outdoors person at all. He had a rough time with a football injury (torn ACL and MCL as an 8th grader) and the recovery process hasn’t been kind to him with some nerve damage that may jeopardize any future sports. I want him to have something else to look forward to that he can spend time on. I’m far from an expert goose hunter but dabble a bit as literally hundreds are flying over our house daily and we have luck without a ton of effort. He sat out with me a few nights ago and had the time of his life in a layout blind watching me poke a few.

What is a good shotgun to purchase to get him started? He’s 14 and the size of an adult (6′, 180). Cheap/Affordable is key as he’s a kid, and I would prefer a semiauto. No, a $1200 shotgun isn’t cheap in my book for the limited use in this scenario. $500-800 would be ideal. No, I don’t really care if the fit and finish isn’t pristine and that of a $2k shotgun. No, he won’t use it for much else (maybe just some trap shooting) as he will borrow a rifle from me for deer hunting if he wants to try that also.

Thank you for the suggestions

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Franchi has some decently priced semi’s that would work, a little more than you mentioned spending though. Otherwise why not get him a Benelli Nova pump. It is what I have used most of my duck/goose hunting time, super accurate right out of the box and very reliable.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Skip the semi and get him a 870. I hunted my 870 for 15 years before buying a semi 2 seasons ago

CaptainMusky
    Participant

The Stoeger M3000 semi-auto would fit the bill quite nicely. They have jumped in price the last two years, but you can get one for $529 right now if you get the synthetic one. My son bought 1 2 years ago and it shoots very nice. If you want a 3.5″ the M3500 is just a little bit more in price.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Skip the semi and get him a 870. I hunted my 870 for 15 years before buying a semi 2 seasons ago

Not interested in buying another pump.

deertracker
    Participant

The Stoeger M3000 semi-auto would fit the bill quite nicely. They have jumped in price the last two years, but you can get one for $529 right now if you get the synthetic one. My son bought 1 2 years ago and it shoots very nice. If you want a 3.5″ the M3500 is just a little bit more in price.

I own 3 Stoegers. I have a M2000, M3000 and an M3500. I think they are great guns for the price.
    DT

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Thank you!

The list below is what I’m finding as options – but would appreciate any real-life feedback people have. There are people on here that know a ton more about these shotguns than I do.

-Stoeger M3000/3500
    -Franchi Affinity 3/3.5
    -CZ – 1012
    -Mossberg 935
    -Tristar Viper Max

tswoboda
    Participant

It’s a shotgun… fit and comfort are the keys to accuracy and enjoyment. You need to take him to a store and shoulder every shotgun there.

That said, I think some good starting points on the high end of your range are the Franchi Affinity and Beretta A300 – completely different designs and feels. Winchester and Browning make fine semi-autos as well.

Owning and having put thousands of rounds down a Stoeger, I would never ever recommend one to someone. Have friends that I hunted with a lot that own them too. The Stoeger semi-autos have by far the most cycling issues of any shotgun I’ve ever been around. I also own Franchi and Benelli (same family/inertia system) and they’ve been flawless. But for whatever reason I’ve never seen a Stoeger that wasn’t in some way finicky or picky or high-maintenance or whatever you want to call it. A Stoeger got me through high school and college but a new shotgun(s) was immediately purchased after getting a couple real paychecks.

Edit: I’m not arguing with the thousands of people who own Stoegers and love them – just stating my experience with them.

bullcans
    Participant
    Northfield MN

I suggested a Tristar for a friend a few years ago and it’s been a very reliable gun for them.

Coletrain27
    Participant

Buy one that fits him the best and can handle 3.5” shells.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

I bought a Beretta A300 Outlander a few years ago and love it. It’s been flawless. My BIL shoots a Benelli SBE3 and actually likes my “cheap” Beretta better.

It comes with spacers and shims to adjust fit.

The only downfall is that it only comes chambered in 3″, so if you’re dead set on a 3.5″ chambering, you’re out of luck.

Red Eye
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Not interested in buying another pump.

I second the 870. I feel like putting a semi auto in the hands of a first time hunter is asking for more holes in the sky and any actually aiming being done. The pump forces you to slow down a bit and not just pull the trigger.
    Seen it happen with my cousin, first yr duck hunting at 35 years old. Bought himself a new beretta. Boy could that gun kick 3 shells out FAST. But that dam gun couldn’t hit sh!t for the first case of shells ran through it.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Is the beretta A300 gas or inertia driven? I couldnt find anything referencing it. I do like the recoil reduction system so that leads me to think its inertia. I absolutely love my beretta A390 that I have owned since High School. Only let me down one time, but that was when it got so much crud in it laying in the bottom of a filthy duck boat and it wouldnt fire.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

The Stoeger would get my vote too. Get it in a camo pattern so it could eventually also be used for ducks and turkeys.

He’s 6′, 180 pounds at the age of 14? Dang. I was half that size when I was 14.

waldo9190
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

Is the beretta A300 gas or inertia driven? I couldnt find anything referencing it. I do like the recoil reduction system so that leads me to think its inertia. I absolutely love my beretta A390 that I have owned since High School. Only let me down one time, but that was when it got so much crud in it laying in the bottom of a filthy duck boat and it wouldnt fire.

The A300 is gas, and mine has been 100% reliable through years of summer trap seasons and hard waterfowl use. Recoil difference is noticeable between an intertia driven gun and a gas gun, so they’re a great option for a younger shooter. Also, anyone who complains about them being “hard to clean” is lazy, and they don’t take me any longer to clean than my Franchi (inertia) 20 gauge does.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

I own a CZ O/U and love it. The fit and finish rival high end guns but at half the price. The gun just shoulders nice and gets on target fast too ! The 1012 looks nice cool

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Recoil difference is noticeable between an intertia driven gun and a gas gun, so they’re a great option for a younger shooter.

That is the only thing my son doesnt like about his Stoeger as it kicks like a mule! My beretta you hardly feel it. I need to add another shotgun for my middle son so I am in the market too. Not sure I want to spend over $800 for one though, but I guess its something they would have their entire life.

dhpricco
    Participant
    Twin Cities, MN

I would vote a Winchester SX4. I have an SX3 as well as my father in law and for a semi auto that are on the lower end of the price range they are fantastic guns. My Dad bought an SX4 a couple years ago and he doesn’t us it much. Cheaper made than the SX3, but not that different. I think a 3″ 12 gauge in there basic black/gray color is around $780 at fleet farm for reference. Personally I do not think anything over 3″ is needed for a shell length.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/winchester-sx4-synthetic-12ga-black-semi-auto-synthetic-stock-shotgun/0000000273676?bc=10276|10277&brandCrumb=3435189779&bn=winchester

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

Stoeger, Franchi and CZ are the budget semi’s to look at. I’ve owned both Stoeger and CZ semi’s and no longer own either. I’ve yet to have good luck with a budget semi-auto. The CZ 712 was much better than the 3000 I owned.

Managing Bill’s in Robbinsdale over the years, it was Taurus handguns and budget semi-auto shotguns and .22’s that kept the gunsmith busy.

Winchester/Browning gas for me. SX2, SX3, SX4, Silver, Gold, Maxus, Maxus 2 etc.

gizmoguy
    Participant
    Crystal,MN

I have the Beretta A300. Very nice auto. Best part is they provide you with spacers and wedges to custom fit the gun stock to yourself. Proper fitting makes a huge difference. It did for me.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I have the Beretta A300. Very nice auto. Best part is they provide you with spacers and wedges to custom fit the gun stock to yourself. Proper fitting makes a huge difference. It did for me.

That is a very good point. It is kind of a bummer you have to take it to a gunsmith to remove the plug though, but I guess there arent many times you really need that extra shot and especially for waterfowl you need it in anyway.

waldo9190
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gizmoguy wrote:</div>

That is a very good point. It is kind of a bummer you have to take it to a gunsmith to remove the plug though, but I guess there arent many times you really need that extra shot and especially for waterfowl you need it in anyway.

This was my excuse to buy a light 20 gauge Franchi for upland hunts toast

Wingman99
    Participant
    Elk River, MN

All Beretta auto’s are Gas. They own Benelli for the guy’s who want to shoot an inertia auto.

Wingman99
    Participant
    Elk River, MN

I own a few Beretta’s the A300 does not have to be taken to a gunsmith for plug removal. I’ve removed mine and replaced it several times.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

Marlin Super Goose 10 bolt action.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I own a few Beretta’s the A300 does not have to be taken to a gunsmith for plug removal. I’ve removed mine and replaced it several times.

Hmm, I was reading online earlier that there is a plastic spacer and a spring you need to remove and if you dont get it back in right it will cause problems. I wouldnt remove my plug anyway since I have never taken it out of my A390 in all the years Ive owned it.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

In regards to the plug in the Beretta, I’m sure I could take it out (hello, Youtube), but I don’t know that a 4th shot would ever have gotten me a pheasant. rotflol

I just leave it in amd enjoy the weight savings. grin

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

The Stoeger would get my vote too. Get it in a camo pattern so it could eventually also be used for ducks and turkeys.

He’s 6′, 180 pounds at the age of 14? Dang. I was half that size when I was 14.

Yes he’s an eater, weight lifter, and sports nut. He’s really taken a step back with the injury and nerve damage though which is really hard to see. I’m hoping this will be something that can fill the “void” of not having sports 24-7 365 has created.. He was told that Football and Basketball are longshots due to some of the nerve damage and how his knee is responding. Both were passions of his.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

He was told that Football and Basketball are longshots due to some of the nerve damage and how his knee is responding. Both were passions of his.

That’s too bad, but hunting is a life-long thing so kudos to you for getting him out there since he likely wouldnt otherwise. Now that small game (rabbit/squirrel) season has started I likely wont be seeing my 16 year old much. on weekends when he goes out with his buddies, but that will change when pheasant season hits.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.