short vs. long?

• joc
    Western and Central, NY

Mustag, VMC and Gamakatsu all offer both short shank and regular (long shank) versions of trebles for use or replacement on hard baits. What’s the pros and cons of the short shank replacement vs. the longer shank replacement of the 2 different types of trebles?
    Thank you,

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

There’s probably a lot of reasons. For myself why I prefer short shanks, most of the time.

When fish aren’t engulfing the lure but are biting onto lure body, short shanks tend to have an advantage of hook up since its more likely to end up inside the lips.

If up sizing hook, short shank tend to keep lure more within original specs on weight.

On lures that are always on the move, I would go long shank.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

Thanks Bob makes sense about the short shank helping to produce more strikes by holding tight to the lure. On bite that are not totally committed. This happens to me a lot with pike on heavily fished local waters since they see so many baits they are a bit line “or should I say lure shy”. Still because of the rich forage base some reach (34 to 38)” with a rare 40″. They often just give the bait a quick grab. Getting off topic better stop.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.