Shore Fishing in the Red Wing area

• smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

Ill be in the Red Wing area the next 3 evenings. Any advice on good shore fishing spots with the high water currently in place? Open to Walleyes, Cats or other river species, just something to stretch the string.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Baypoint park has plenty of shoreline. The walleyes have likely moved out to the lake but you just never know. I believe there is a trout pond right there as well so that may be an option

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Shore fishing might be a little tricky with the high water.
    Bay Point Park
    Colville Park
    Fishing Pier in Red Wing

Should be able to catch something at one of those places.
    I would start at the fishing pier at Bay Point across from Red Wing Marina. Current seam is right there. Might even be some panfish on the dock in the marina’s bay.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Lake City is not that far of a drive and offers a lot of fishing either off the big concrete pier or the breakwater [lake side] that creates the sailboat harbor. Walleye, sauger, bass [mostly smallies], white bass, crappies.

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

Just across the hwy 63 bridge out of Red Wing and right after the exit to Harbor Bar,there is a culvert that runs under the hwy.It can be very good for pannies in high water.Parking is minimal and with traffic whizzing by,not the most serene place in the world to fish but,it can be very good.The west side,the inbound to Red Wing side,was always better to me but,caught fish on both sides.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Just across the hwy 63 bridge out of Red Wing and right after the exit to Harbor Bar,there is a culvert that runs under the hwy.

That culvert is blocked off because of the bridge construction going on. Very little water moving though it and I would doubt the DOT’s will allow fishing there now. No place to park (at all).

But that would have been a great spot. waytogo

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

[/quote]
    That culvert is blocked off because of the bridge construction going on. Very little water moving though it and I would doubt the DOT’s will allow fishing there now. No place to park (at all).

But that would have been a great spot. waytogo
    [/quote]

Thanks,Brian,that’s too bad but,good to know.Caught a lot of fish there over the years.Was sitting there one early October am,with the water quite high,when a guy came racing across the bridge,went airborne and landed in the water on the west side of hwy 63.I ran down there to see if anyone was hurt and the guy was sitting on the roof of his car in about 4 feet of water.He was ok and yes,alcohol was involved…a lot of it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

LOL! Well I’m glad he didn’t hit YOU on his air borne adventure!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.